• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to retain capture date in and beyond Photoshop?

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edit an image in Photoshop and save it as a PSD or export it as JPG or TIF, the metadata capture date is removed.

Is there any way to have Photoshop retain the capture date? I'm using Windows 10.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, File > Save As should preserve EXIF Date Time Original, while web export options don’t preserve it to save space.

That assumes the capture time is present in the Photoshop document. It should be there if the Photoshop document was created by having Photoshop directly open an original camera raw or JPEG file, but might be missing if the file was already processed or copied/pasted between Photoshop documents.

More specifically, these methods should preserve EXIF Date Time Original:

• File > Save As > JPEG
  • File > Save As > TIFF
  • File > Save As > Photoshop
  • File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) with the Metadata option set to All
  • File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) with the Metadata option set to All Except Camera Info

These JPEG export methods don’t preserve EXIF Date Time Original:

• File > Export > Export As (any settings)
  • File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) with the Metadata option set to Copyright and Contact Info
  • File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) with the Metadata option set to Copyright
  • File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) with the Metadata option set to None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general Expirt Save for web and export will stript Meta data.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[oops, I must have hit wrong reply button]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and a JPG, a DNG, and the file from a scanned slide (on which I had manually edited the capture time) all had the capture time (via Properites > Details) before opening with Photoshop but not after saving as PSD or for web. I appreciate the detailed response, Conrad C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scanned image files  would not have EXIF camera meta data.  You stated you manually added the dates. Where did you store these dates in the scanned files? Export by default stripes meta data.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manually edited the date taken for the scanned files in Windows Explorer - Properties > Details. I can then verify by opening the file in a third-party app (Irfanview) and see that the date taken was indeed changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question JJMack asks is important, because what is normally reported as Capture Time is a specific field embedded by digital cameras. Scanned images typically have only a Creation Date which is the file system creation date, and a completely different field.

Some scanning software such as VueScan may write to EXIF Date Time Original if something’s entered in the Date field in that application. The Capture Time in those should show up properly as if they were taken with a digital camera. If the scanned images don't have an EXIF Date Time Original entry, it’s possible to add one using a utility such as EXIFTool. I haven’t done that before, but it’s something I will look into at some point because I scan lot of film too.

This is a very confusing area because there are multiple fields that can store creation or capture times defined in different ways for different standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,  I have since learned to enter the date taken into VueScan so I don't have to edit the EXIF later.

But aside from files from scans, the issue still remains given the DNGs and JPGs that have their camera-assigned dates taken lose that data after Photoshop. (In case you missed it, note my post above re: Windows Explorer - Properties > Details)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are dates all ovet the place in File system and file meta date not all are useed ot and maimtained well. Photoshop export stripts meta data by dedault.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a Mac user but I do have Windows 10 in a virtual machine, so I tried editing Date Taken in Properties/Details. I didn’t know you could do that…it’ll come in handy for my scans! (Editing most properties is not possible on a Mac desktop, you have to use a utility.)

However, the problem I am now seeing is that, although editing Date Taken in Windows Properties does seem to work, it is not being reported consistently across all applications, For example for the PSD that I edited:

• The edited Date Taken does display in the EXIF panels in Lightroom Classic (Mac) and Apple Preview, labeled Date Time Original.
  • The edited Date Taken does not display in Adobe Bridge (Mac) or in Windows properties including List view on the desktop (yes, I enabled Date Taken display in List view and it’s displayed for the other files). 

I am not sure where the problem is. One application may be writing it out wrong, another application could be reading it in wrong. It isn’t clear because the Date Taken display is so inconsistent across the four applications I tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines