• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To: Turn Green into Yellow - shades of Yellow, bright, mustard, green-yellow

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am taking what is mostly picture taken at Summer, with lots of green (leaved) trees, and I want to turn it into fall. I can turn green into red easily with a hue/staturation layer ~BUT~ I'm having a difficult time turn green into yellow.

I have tried the hue/staturaion adjustment layer; but it's a pretty lame yellow.

I have tried a curves adjustment layer; but yeah, pretty lamo.

I can "somewhat" get a greenish-yellow, but I want serious yellow. The kind of yellow you see on a school bus, or on an oak leaf the 4th week of October in Ohio. The kind of yellow you see on a French's Mustard container.

While I'm been using PS for a few years, I'm not an expert. PLEASE provide a tutorial link if you need something beyond a simple adjustment layer.

Thanks in Advance!!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't just color, it's brightness. Yellow is inherently much brighter than foliage green. It has to do with our visual sensitivity to different wavelengths.

If you want to quantify the difference, the Lab color mode takes this into consideration. Make two samples of summer green and fall yellow, and compare the L values.

In other words, this is a lot more tricky than it sounds. It's basically analogous to the very frequent question we get here about changing the colors of garments. And the answer is that the whole tone curve needs remapping, not just the color. Only here you have to do it to parts of the image, not the whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation that'as it's complex.  Any tutorials out there?  I can not be the only person needing this.

Thanks

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are flying blind! As this is often image-specific, uploading a sample would help.

EDIT: There is also a neural filter to change seasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Hue/Saturtion,  did you try Image>Adjustments>Color Balance?  Try that and then go back to Saturation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is about actually making it look like fall, simply changing the color won’t look convincing. The changes to the leaves go far beyond color. A green spring/summer leaf has a relatively even color texture, and can look soft and well-hydrated. In the fall, the same leaf dries up, so the texture changes significantly. It gets brittle and develops crinkles, cracks, holes, and dark spots, and bits flake off it. It can become multi-colored, like yellow to red, in a way that’s splotchy, uneven, and can change toward the edge. All of that changes how light reflects off of the leaf, so the tonal quality is no longer the same as when it was living and green.

Given all that, if you wanted to create a convincing fall version of a leaf, changing only the color will look fake if all of the other changes are missing: Changes to tonal range, surface texture, and the damage of decay.

Taking a different approach, you could try just sliding the Autumn option in the Landscape Mixer (choose Filter > Neural Filters) as shown below, but this will probably alter the content detail of the image in ways you might not want. There might also be a way through Generative Fill, but I haven’t figured that out.

Photoshop-Neural-Filters-Landscape-Mixer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the replies. My statement was directionally correct - I want it to look like fall; however I was not asking for the "perfect REAL" fall. I wasn't asking for PS to create leaves on the ground. I wasn't asking for PS to create a level of wetness or dryness that may or may not exist in fall (depending on the location, year, weather and 1,000 other factors).....  I JUST want to be able to turn greeen leaves, or a selection of some green leaves - yellow,  and really any shade of yellow.

Here's a sample for you:

green.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. This sample is untagged, but assuming sRGB.

Note the Lab L value. That's Luminance (brightness):

green_1.png

This is what the Lab L channel looks like alone:

green_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Again thank you for the help. I am a bit frustrated by Photoshop Neural filters. I understand there are unique characteristics of plants, animals, ground, sky - etc. in different seasons. PS needs to understand some of us want surreal adjustments, and let us choose the options.

I don't want 'burnt' / 'dead' leaves, which are natural in the fall. I want pristine surreal colors; give me that option in the Neural filters.

Here's is my STARTING picture, and my FINISH picture.  Taken in Ohio Amish country.

Thanks

AJ

OriginalOriginalLeaves RecoloredLeaves Recolored

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was done in the Color mixer tab in the Camera Raw filter.

Orange, yellow and green hue set to -100.

Fall-colors-1.png

Orange, yellow and green hue set to -100, and

Orange, yellow and green saturation set to +100

Fall-colors-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. I have never tried the camera raw filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines