• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use photoshop on 4K monitor? the scale of interface is too small...

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geting started with Photoshop cc on 4K monitor faced with problem of scale of interfece-its too small. How to adjust it to that resolution 3200x1800? Thanks in  advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Preferences > Experimental features > Scale UI 200%.......

200%.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences > Experimental features > Scale UI 200%.......

200%.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install Photoshop CC 2014 it has an experimental preference  for 2x UI for displays the have a hihj DOI resolution.   Photoshop UI is  scaled as though your display has half the resolution that it has. Your 3200x1800px 13.3 LCD has a 276 DPI resolution  Photoshop will scale its UI as though your display is a 1600x900PX display with a 138 DPI resolution, Each pixel in the UI will be doubled in width and height.  So four of your display pixels will be use for each of the current UI pixels. The UI will display 4 times the size it currently displays.  However the image area be greatly reduced in size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey JJ.  I didn't even think the OP might not be using CC.  It's true what they say about making assumptions.  My bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J.J. and I type slowly so it's only after we click "add reply" that we find out someone got in with the same answer and our posts come out looking like we didn't read post #2.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can not type I hunt and peck  so I'm slow and I also consult with Photoshop try to give correct information.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That aside, Congratulations, J.J. and Trevor on your MVPs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You too.

Its nice to know the Adobe appreciates user that help their users and also does not censor forums but for inappropriate content.  I am a big fan of Photoshop and have also been very critical of Adobe support sill Adobe recognized me..  While Photoshop is the best game in town I would still like to see bugs fixed.   Adobe's programming staff is outstanding they can fix them.  Adobe does fix major bug.

This experimental 2x UI is a case where Adobe realizes when something does not work I have confidences Adobe and Microsoft will come up with a solution.  While the current patch may be OK for laptop and tablets with high resolution 4K displays it does not actually work well for Laptop and Tablets that have high resolution displays that are not 4K tablets.  Displays with less the 2056x1536 pixels do not meet Photoshop requirement when run at half resolution.  If you look at the above append you would see the a machine like Microsoft Surface Pro 2 which has a high resolution 1920x180 pixels. When you use Photoshop on it and use the 2x preference its equivalent of running Photoshop on a machine with ad display with 960x540 pixels.  The display does not meet Photoshop Requirements so Photoshop UI does not fit on screen, A Surface Pro 3 screen 2160x1440 becomes a 1080x720 close to the required 1024x768 just 48 pixel short in height.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a picture of my 280x1620 monitor (sony vaio bought for use with photoshop) It's a touch screen so naturally I have not been able to use it what so ever, my finger is 12 times as large as the icons, and the pen is too inaccurate to successfully hit the little tags in the gradient selector (i hit 1 in 30 times) I have now enabled the experimental 2X ui feature and i think it is marginally more productive... I can hit the buttons now probably. However now my painting area is about 50% of the screen size, so it's far from ideal, indeed I will continue to choose to work on a different computer when I can. I have been browsing topics like these and see they go back to 2010. Why is this not fixed yet? It's a major gripe for me. I'm 25, and I can't read the font because it's so small in the default, nonexperimental view. I am awaiting a more streamlined solution for this than filling up my windows with unnecessary dead space that is the experimental 2X size option. I am so frustrated. So very frustrated. If only I could run opensource painting program Krita without crashing I would have stopped paying for CC a long time ago.
10849075_10152748324317449_2974842185364751842_o.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200% UI Scaling on Windows was introduced in Photoshop CC 2014.  It took quite a bit of work from Microsoft and Adobe to make that happen.

Adobe is continuing to work with Microsoft to address the OS issues required to make more flexible UI scaling possible on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seriously not impressed with Adobe - maybe, you shouldnt have pushed the product out before it was ready? We are paying this, you  know... i mean, we are paying to essentially be super frustrated (and curse you) while, it certainly seems, you dont care. You already got the money...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it was your choice to buy a 4k display. Did you read any user reviews before you did. The UI Issue is a result of the display's high resolution the display displays much smaller pixels than older displays four time as many pixels in the same area so four times the information is displayed in the same area. So what is displayed of course is 1/4 the size that would be displayed on older displays that displayed larger size pixels. Your old 20" 1920x1080 display became 4 10" 1920x1080 displayed in the same 20" area. You now have  3840x2160pixels twice the resolution. The display you purchased you got what you paid for.  Adobe 2x UI lets you use your new high resolution display liker two displays a 1920x1080 display for its UI the display at 1/2 resolution four native pixels are user to make a single UI pixel so the display like on old low resolution displays with half the resolution.  While Photoshop display you image on a high resolution display the is 3840x2160 pixels. However many of the pixels have bee allocated as UI pixels so the display area for image has been greatly  reduced.   Many would like to be able to scale the UI to less than 2x like 1.5x or 1.25x so more area would be available for images or Adobe UI will fit on smaller displays like the surface pro 3  2160x1440 display at 2x UI that becomes a 1080x720  display and Photoshop UI requires at least 1024x768,  1080x720 does not meet that requirement.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an observation, as I have just installed 2 4k Samsung monitors today. Lightroom causes no problems as in Preferences font size is set to automatic and so far cannot see any problem. Photoshop cc 2015 even though I cannot see anywhere where you can alter the font size seems to have done just that and there are no problem. However Bridge is awful as the font size is too small. Come on Adobe, you have done it for Lightroom and PS 2015, when will Bridge be brought up to date? I have altered the font size in Windows 8.1 and all my Microsoft products and other programs seem to be visble ok The main offenders are Photoshops prior to cc 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stating its the users fault for buying such a display is lame in the extreme. Adobe users are at the high end of graphical professionals and can be expected to want high end equipment. To suggest they should all by older lower resolution screens instead of adobe getting their act together and updating their interface is pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

muhammadb85492090 wrote:

instead of adobe getting their act together and updating their interface is pathetic.

Bridge, yes.

But Photoshop, with the 200% UI scaling option, has worked correctly with 4K displays for quite some time now. There's nothing more to fix (except maybe add a 150% option as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here we are now 8 years later and it is still a problem that Adobe has really done very little to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here we are now 8 years later and it is still a problem that Adobe has really done very little to fix.

By @Brin33513961ucw8

Brin, what Photoshop version are you using?  That issue was fixed with the first versions of Creative Cloud.  CS6 and earlier have long since stopped being supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checkout Touchkey Touchkey (tutorial) - Touchscreen art keys for Surface Pro 3 and other Windows tablets - YouTube

Supports machine other the the Surface Pro 3

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed CS 4 creative suite on a new Lenovo Yoga 13.3" QHD+ (3200 x 1800) IPS, - photoshop is tiny scale. I tried changing lenovo system settings scale to 200% but that did not help. Do I need to reinstall the Adobe CS to find the preference settings you mention? What else do you advise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1800/768 = 2.34375 so the max scaling you can do is 225% and meet Photoshop 1024x768 UI requirement.  Your 13.3" display has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 276 DPI resolution.  Scaling that display 225% would make it like a 123DPI display.  Photoshop UI was designed for a 96dpi resolution.   You should find Photoshop UI a little small but it should be quite useable.  If you have the Latest Windows 10 updates and Photoshop CC 2018 version 19.1+. when you set your Displaye"s windows scaling setting to 225%.

For old versions of Photoshop with Windows 10 you can force Windows scaling onto Photoshop.  Both UI and Image will be scaled by Window. Using a Windows shortcut to opens Photoshop and override High DPI Scaling to System enhanced. Set your display's Windows scaling setting to 225%. Do not set any Adobe Photoshop scaling setting to other than 100%

or

set 234.367

However Microsoft doe not recommend the  last one.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply. I have a very old version of photoshop in a CS 4

creative suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ā€ŒAdobe Lightroom and Photoshop do not support new 4K or 5k resolution yet. Scaling the display to 200% is incorrect way to go about it. If you go to (Mac) Aplications > Lightroom 5 > Get info ! remove tic from box 'Open in High resolution' and the problem will be solved. Lightroom and Photoshop will be the same size as before. I guess it will be some time before Adobe supports 5K monitors...

you you can do that in each of the programs and it will sort the scaling issue out... The problem with Display scaling is it affects everything... Hope that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barryvj171 wrote:

Scaling the display to 200% is incorrect way to go about it

The 200% UI scaling option only affects the interface, not the image.

The image itself displays as it always has: correctly. At 100% zoom, one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel. That's the only way a professional grade image editor can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ā€ŒYes, you are correct, but the images are too small to edit, especially when y get down to the pixel level like I do...

IF you go to applications > get info > remove the tic in 'open in hi res', then the program and image will behave exactly as before with the old monitor... Adobe does not yet fully support  4 or 5K monitors, so you will notice the type will be imperfect... But at least now the images are editable...

you ou can of course increase the view to 150 or 200%, but then you don't know what the correct size will be.... that's just my view...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that you really understand. Whatever the resolution of the monitor it does not alter the image file size, nor your ability to edit it within Photoshop or whatever program you are using. You can still zoom into pixel level to edit your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines