• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Photoshop CC, I cannot associate jpg's or psd's with Photoshop CC. I have used the "open with..." dialog box (something I have done a million times, so I know what I'm doing), but after choosing Photoshop, it does not appear in the list of recommended or other programs and will not open the jpg or psd file in Photoshop.

FYI, I installed Photoshop CC while Photoshop CS6 was still on my computer. I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

Please help...this is extremely frustrating.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 197 Replies 197
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I changed the registry and it starts to open PSCC only to get a dialog box that says I am missng onOneToolBox2.dll!  What in the world does that mean?  I thought that was a third party plugin and I haven't yet figured out how to install 3rd party plugins.  When I can finally get rid of that (it tekas many, many close commands) another dialog box shows up and says I am missing CoreFoundation.dll.  I know even less what that is.  When, again after many, many attempts, I can get rid of this dialog box, PSCC opens with my jpg.  I am about to cancel my subscription and use PSCS6 forever!  THis is really frustrating.  The same exact thing happens if I change the registry as was suggested from CS5 to CS6 which also gave me trouble.  I am running 32 bit Windows7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means that one of your onOne plugins is misinstalled.

Disable your onOne plugins until you get a chance to reinstall them correctly - or just disable everything in the Plug-Ins folder until you can straighten it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  That did it but it looks like I will have to go file type by file type to associate them correctly, even though Bridge is set up right.  PITN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this, I'm yet another who has both CS6 & CC installed & cannot open jpegs with CC. Stangely enough, I can open RAW files OK - CC appears in 'open with' list but not for jpegs. I'm using Windows Home Premium 32-bit version FWIW.

About time Adobe addressed this issue as not everyone is happy with editing the registry (and nor should they have to).

Unfortunately my registry structure appears different to the examples shown (perhaps as I have 32-bit windows?) so I'm unable to use the regedit fix as I don't know what to look for/change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update ...

As per post 61, found my registry key there too ie:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

I can now open jpegs with CC. I notice that I no longer have the option to open with CS6 too wheras with RAW files the options to open with CC or CS6 are both present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in fact incorrect - as a staff member - you should look at the registry edit. This is an installer issue where Photosohp (and InDesign) do not properly update the registry path on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you disable the plugin and when would you get the chance to reinstall them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

middle.aged.hack, you should be a ++++member! Thank you very much!!

Adobe: You really need to get with it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

middle.aged.hack:

thank you.  The registry edit to remove the old cs6 install paths and place the new install paths for CC programs works!  After the changes to the registry the "Open With" window will include the correct program to select.  All will work fine afterwords given that we don't screw anything else up while in the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me nuts because I could not get PS CC to show up in the list to associate my PSD files with, they were all Apple PictureViewer...but this solution to edit the registry definitely worked for me. Mine was stuck on Photoshop CS5.1

So a big thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been bugging me for months now. So grateful for the middle.aged.hack's hack. Totally worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of grateful people for the answer from middle.aged.hack. I got CC a couple of days ago and had the same problem except it my case it was Photoshop CS5 which insisted on opening instead of CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, sooo much, middle.aged.hack. I seriously thought I was loosing my mind. I was tad bit nervous to change the registry, but I pushed through just the same, and it's working now.

For those that don't know how to change a registry, I found the information here: http://www.wikihow.com/Edit-the-Windows-Registry. But I imagine if you're looking for your solutions on the forums, you've probably already found the information on how to change your registry.

Thanks, again, middle.aged.hack! My squirrels are parading for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clean you Registry use CCleaner, is freeware, I fix in second,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Middle Aged Hack, thank you for fixing this Adobe bug for me! I'd buy you a beer if you were here in Chicago.

I am amazed at how many registry entries still reference CS5 even after I have installed CC and uninstalled CS5 completely. It seems like sloppy work from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, middle.aged.hack! I was able to do this. I'm not a Regedit expert, but following your path, it was easy to see it still had Photoshop CS6 listed. I right-clicked the entry, chose Modify, and changed \Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe to \Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe.

Instant success. It's crazy to ask any Adobe customer to do this, of course. Adobe, please stop hiding on this issue and get the CC installer to make the registry change!

Thanks again, middle.aged.hack!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

middle.aged.hack - brilliant, thanks! All that remains is the need for an Adobe fix rather than a "middle aged hack"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2013 Aug 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me, THANKSSSSSSSS!!!

I uninstalled cs6  after installing cc  and it messed up everything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

middle.aged.hack, you are my hero. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to work all this out using two registry cleaners and then discovered that the Cleaning tool that comes with McAfee actualy found all the issues in the registry and fixed them. I wish I'd tried it first as it was a one click fix. Just as good as a middle.aged.hack

The OnOne plugins it seems only the latest versions work. I only use Perfect Resize 7 and had to go with using it as a stand alone. All other companies plugins I use were updated, even the old ones. I got that error message mentioned on page one of this thread, but then the next time I got a message preferences had been disabled which solved that on its own.

CC seems like it is still in Beta to me.  Syncronizing for the Fonts causes me Blue Screens of Death and I don't have time to screw with all this. Lost time costs way more than the software. I waited until near the deadline to loose the discount on purpose so I'd get stable software, but no joy. Works fine most of the time and then bang, a big issue out of the air. What is up with Adobe? Their software has always been so stable before and I've never had any real issues with updates or upgrades? Bummer!!!

The installers should do the cleanup before installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2013 Sep 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thanks to add for Middle Aged Hack, although I had a slight twist with mine in that the registry key referenced didn't exist -- so I created one based on the bridge key, and that worked well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you Middle Aged Hack!  Whew, thought I was going to go insane on this one.  Clear, concise instructions.  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I owe you one! Kudos to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

And I also must say thank you.

So thanks.

This was so annoying. Their fancy web installer is so amazing... I hated the cloud before they called it that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines