• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'd like to delete several actions at once in the history of my edits.

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when trying to do an edit in Photoshop, I make several changes.  Then I decide that I don't like it.  I'd like to be able to select several of those little checkboxes to the left of the action item (the actual edit that I made) that shows in history and delete those actions all at once, rather than having to delete each and every one individually.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The checkboxes are to set the source of the history brush.

Being able to shift or ctrl/cmd select multiple steps would be workable without having to add an extra checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select single ones (with shift) and drag them in bulk to trash can (or click delete from contextual menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. This functionality is already in the Actions panel. Shift or cmd click to select more than one step and hit the Trash can button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 - I believe that the request is for the History panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I think it's not clear which panel she refers to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LindaCinMaine – can you please clarify which panel? Is it History, Actions or something else? Post a screenshot if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LindaCinMaine_0-1650530832953.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh , did that help?  I can only select one of those at a time and delete each one individually if I decided that I didn't like any of the last edits that I made to the picture. I'd like to know how to check all of the boxes that I want and delete those edits all at once.  Right now, I'm doing one at a time.  Is there a way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to delete them, just select some of previous history steps (not on a box) and continue working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh , did that help?  I can only select one of those at a time and delete each one individually if I decided that I didn't like any of the last edits that I made to the picture. I'd like to know how to check all of the boxes that I want and delete those edits all at once.  Right now, I'm doing one at a time.  Is there a way?

By @LindaCinMaine

Yes, it clarifies that you are indeed talking of the History panel and not the Actions panel (you were using the term action to refer to steps, which was muddying the water).

The checkboxes are to set the source of the history brush, they are not checkboxes for selecting steps.

Currently, you can remove steps one at a time, or clear all steps. If you are using linear history (non-linear history inactive) then selecting a previous step will make all subsequent steps inactive.

There is no way to select multiples, which I presume is the "idea" = feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh , YES PLEASE! That would make my work flow easier.  I do tend to try things that don't work out and then it's time-consuming to delete each one.  It would just be so much easier to check a box next to the actions that didn't like and delete them all at once.

Thanks for your response.

I'm still having some issues with file handling.  I may just go back to a previous version again. 

I'll post that in another thread that reads: Legacy file saving is still adding the word edit to my file when I move it from Lightroom to Photoshop and it's trying to save the file to the last place that I had saved one to rather than the source. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to delete history steps singly, just select one and use bin icon to remove all next ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I really appreciate it.
I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Kukurikus stated, select the first step you want to delete, click the trash icon, and all subsequent steps are gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhpas you still click checkbox instead of the item next to that checkbox before clicking trash icon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only works in linear history mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for helping, everyone!  I finally figured it out.  For anyone who is like me and needs a bit more description, here are my instructions. In the history panel, highlight the entire line of the last spot that you want to delete. It will delete everything after that (ignore the little check box), then hit the trash can icon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you kidding of us? For last 10 days we were giving you this answer, now you say you finally found it yourself (and then mark own post as correct solution) 😕 Only me shared this solution 3 times, while others once or said it was provided already. You replied you tried that and that doesn't work. Now you ignore that fact and prasie your achivement 😛

Moderator please unmark the user post and mark one or more previous answer(s) 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I couldn't understand it in the way that it was being explained to me.

I'm grateful for all of the help.  I didn't understand that you have to highlight the whole line.

I kept trying to work with the little checkboxes.  I assure you that I wasn't praising myself for being so stupid as not to understand what people were trying to explain to me. I was just excited that I finally understood what to do and figured out what everyone was saying.  In no way was I praising it as some great achievement.  The "are you kidding us" does not require the word "of" in that sentence.  No, I wasn't kidding about being excited to finally figure out what everyone was trying to tell me.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for kind reply and extra note 😉 I'm not english guy and I were thinking 3 times before using 'of' loll then looking at entire phrase I found it sounds better, so probably that's correct construction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for understanding that I just couldn't understand how to do it the way that everyone was telling me.  I was still thinking that I had to use that little check box. Nobody ever said, "highlight the entire line of the last action that you want to delete."  I assure you that it's my lack of technical expertise. Otherwise, I would have understood it the way that it was being explained.  I'm sure that I won't be the only one though. 

I had no idea that English wasn't your first language. Thanks for your reply. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines