• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I don't want to use the cloud for my photos

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just moved to a different M1 Mac computer and find myself having to use Photoshop 2023. It is completely different from the 2019 version I was using and place more emphasis on using the cloud.

I am an unashamed luddite and want to keep full control of my photos on equipment I own and backup to where I decide to do so. - ie not where photoshop wants to push me.

Is there anyway that I can set the app up to ignore the cloud completely and stop it doing things like automatically allocating a folder to matcch cloud usage.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences below will do this for you:

Select On Your ComputerSelect On Your Computer

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

However, this is where it is set but lower down it doesn't give me any option but to have a local Cloud Documents Working directory. It just allows me to choose where to put it. No doubt every time I delete it, it will recreate it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, this is where it is set but lower down it doesn't give me any option but to have a local Cloud Documents Working directory.

By @KeithR16

Lower down being this? 

Local.png

As you can see, I can click on the button and select my Desktop (or anywhere on my HD I wish). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, you make my point that I have to allocate space on my system for something I don't need, won't use and just resent having to do!!!

I bet it wouldn't let me  set it up in trash which would be the appropriate place (not that I know how to do that!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save locally. Anywhere you desire.

You can save to the Adobe cloud.

You decide.

You asked ”Is there anyway that I can set the app up to ignore the cloud completely” and I showed how.

I don't know how to assist further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thank you for trying. I don't think you have given the correct answer because it is an insoluble question. Adobe just don't want to make it possible otherwise they would give me a simple option to opt out of using cloud storage completely. I fully expected that but had to try!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't help you further because I don't know what you want/need past the question I answered. You can opt out of their cloud storage.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet it wouldn't let me  set it up in trash which would be the appropriate place (not that I know how to do that!!!

By @KeithR16

Looks like you can do this via scripting if you saved and ran the following script code:

#target photoshop

// Ensure that version 2022 or later is being used
var versionNumber = app.version.split(".");
var versionCheck = parseInt(versionNumber);
if (versionCheck < 23) {
    alert("You must use Photoshop 2022 or later...");
} else {

var os = $.os.toLowerCase().indexOf("mac") >= 0 ? "mac" : "windows";
    if (os === "mac") {
        // Set the Mac Trash/Bin as the cloud storage location
        var idset = stringIDToTypeID("set");
        var desc210 = new ActionDescriptor();
        var idnull = stringIDToTypeID("null");
        var ref14 = new ActionReference();
        var idproperty = stringIDToTypeID("property");
        var idfileSavePrefs = stringIDToTypeID("fileSavePrefs");
        ref14.putProperty(idproperty, idfileSavePrefs);
        var idapplication = stringIDToTypeID("application");
        var idordinal = stringIDToTypeID("ordinal");
        var idtargetEnum = stringIDToTypeID("targetEnum");
        ref14.putEnumerated(idapplication, idordinal, idtargetEnum);
        desc210.putReference(idnull, ref14);
        var idto = stringIDToTypeID("to");
        var desc211 = new ActionDescriptor();
        var idcloudWorkareaCustom = stringIDToTypeID("cloudWorkareaCustom");
        desc211.putBoolean(idcloudWorkareaCustom, true);
        var idcloudWorkareaDirectory = stringIDToTypeID("cloudWorkareaDirectory");
        desc211.putPath(idcloudWorkareaDirectory, new File("~/Delete")); // Path to user trash/bin
        var idfileSavePrefsClass = stringIDToTypeID("fileSavePrefsClass");
        desc210.putObject(idto, idfileSavePrefsClass, desc211);
        executeAction(idset, desc210, DialogModes.NO);
    } else { }

// Set the save location to the local computer rather than the cloud
    var idset = stringIDToTypeID("set");
    var desc252 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var idnull = stringIDToTypeID("null");
    var ref3 = new ActionReference();
    var idproperty = stringIDToTypeID("property");
    var idfileSavePrefs = stringIDToTypeID("fileSavePrefs");
    ref3.putProperty(idproperty, idfileSavePrefs);
    var idapplication = stringIDToTypeID("application");
    var idordinal = stringIDToTypeID("ordinal");
    var idtargetEnum = stringIDToTypeID("targetEnum");
    ref3.putEnumerated(idapplication, idordinal, idtargetEnum);
    desc252.putReference(idnull, ref3);
    var idto = stringIDToTypeID("to");
    var desc253 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var iddefaultCloudSave = stringIDToTypeID("defaultCloudSave");
    desc253.putBoolean(iddefaultCloudSave, false); // true = cloud
    var idfileSavePrefsClass = stringIDToTypeID("fileSavePrefsClass");
    desc252.putObject(idto, idfileSavePrefsClass, desc253);
    executeAction(idset, desc252, DialogModes.NO);
}

However, I doubt that you were truly serious and were probably writing in frustration and sarcasm...

prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @KeithR16

Looks like you can do this via scripting if you saved and ran the following script code:

By @Stephen_A_Marsh

I was able to do this with a Folder Action using Automator. 

Use the Folder Action "Move Finder Items to Trash". 

Make a folder on the desktop called Photoshop Trash and assign that action:

Automator.png

Set this folder in the same preferences you (and I earlier) showed for this folder. 

Make a new document, save it into that folder. A few seconds later, it's gone, in the Trash. Now just set that Trash to empty which is doable in a few ways. 

WHY anyone would want to do this is beyond me, but it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KeithR16 

• Can you show us a screenshot of your entire Preferences panel > File Handling?
    While there should be an area under "File Saving Options" to select "On your computer" for the Default File Location, it may or may not be there.

• Can you tell us your exact versions for macOS and Photoshop 2023?
    This section accidentally disappeared in 24.0 and returned in 24.0.1. If you are using 24.1 and it is not there, you might need to revert to 24.0.1 until it is fixed.

Folks have reported identical configurations where most have this and some don't, so be sure to give details for the staff to sort it out.

This is a holiday weekend and Adobe staff will return on Tuesday. They can further advise. Also know that you are not alone in preferring to save to your own computer — there have been lots of threads on this, most of which have been merged.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like this has reached the point where there is no benefit in pursuing it any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thedigitaldog gave the correct answer. I set up that way here - all files saved locally.

Just set up in Preferences the default File Location to be Local. Yes, you will still be asked where to put a folder for a local copy of cloud documents but that folder will contain nothing, zilch. The only room it takes up on your hard drive is the entry for it in your directory structure.

davescm_0-1672657895506.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines