• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ignore transparency data when filling a selection?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: Adobe Photoshop CC 22.5

I have a PNG logo downloaded from the web. The logo was saved with partial opacity, and I need to adjust it to be fully opaque. Since it was saved with partial opacity, increasing the layer's opacity value is not an option, as the opacity value is already 100%.

Since the logo is only a single color, my initial solution was to just ctrl+click the logo layer to select the logo pixels, and then use the Paint Bucket tool to fill the selection on a new layer with fully opaque pixels. However, it seems that Photoshop preserves the opacity values when selecting a layer's pixels. As a result, when I go to fill the selection on the new layer, the new pixels match the partial opacity of the selected logo. This is in spite of the fact that my Paint Bucket opacity value is set to 100%.

I have also tried the following solutions without success:

- Selecting the logo pixels, then filling the selection on a new layer through Edit > Fill. The filled pixels still have reduced opacity, despite the blending opacity value being set at 100%. 

- Creating an all white layer, then selecting the logo pixels and pressing ctrl+j in order to duplicate the white pixels in the shape of the logo. The duplicated pixels are, once again, semi transparent.

- Creating an all white layer, selecting the logo pixels, reversing the selection, and then adding a layer mask to the white layer. Even the layer mask preserves the opacity.

I'd like to avoid hack solutions like duplicating the layer over and over again until the pixels appear opaque. This causes aliasing around the edges.

This problem is maddening as I can't find anyone even mentioning this behavior online. Perhaps my Googling skills just aren't up to standards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this:

1. Open the PNG.

2. Go to menu item Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency

3. You should now have the solid colour logo on a white background with the transparency represented by a mask.

4. Click on the mask in the layers panel to select it

5. Go to menu Image > Adjustments > Threshold and drag the triangle to the left just far enough that the logo part of the mask goes solid white and your logo becomes visible as a solid colour

6. Right click the mask and choose Apply layer Mask

You now have the solid colour logo on a transparent background.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines