Illustrator sub-folder in Photoshop install directory

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Adobe support site
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-patterns.html

Under the section "Define an image as a preset pattern", Adobe claims that:
Photoshop comes with a set of Illustrator format files that you can use to define a preset pattern.

I went looking for those Illustrator files in the Photoshop folder, and there is an Illustrator sub-folder in that directory tree. What I found there appear to be plug-ins, so I am wondering what those are for and if they need to be activated in Photoshop somehow before we can use them. My first guess is that those plug-ins provide some Illustrator features from within Photoshop. Are you familir with that folder and what it's about?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the location of that folder? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In (on Windows) C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2024/Illustrator, there are two sub-folders, Additional and Required, each with a Plug-ins sub-folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that seems to have no directly recognizable equivalent on Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe those Illustrator plugins have to do with the importing of Illustrator layers as a psd file into photoshop, a relatively new addition to Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

As far as the set of Illustrator format files referred to, Adobe must be talking about the PostScript Pattern ai files that shipped with Photoshop until CS4, along with the action one could use to make those PostScript files into patterns that could be used in Photoshop with a Pattern Fill layer.

I don't see any Illustrator format files in the current photoshop 2024 (ps version 25.5) install on either Windows or Mac.

Photoshop 6 pdf describing the included actions

section on the PostScript Patterns action from the Textures action set

postscriptpattern1.png

the PostScript action and associated ai files in the PostScript Patterns folder

postscriptpattern2.png

postscriptpattern4.png

after action has been used to make patterns from the ai files that can be then used as a Pattern Fill layer

postscriptpattern3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines