• Global community
    • Language:
      • Deutsch
      • English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit
0

IMac died. Wait to purchase Mac Studio M3?

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as the title says, my 2019 27 " iMac died. 

 

After weeks of research and a post here, I've determined the Mac Studio is what I need as a graphics professional.  (Photography, video, design.)

 

The thing is, a lot of reviews are saying wait for the next version (M3) to come out because it could be soon. Fall '24 or sometime '25.

 

Well, what do I do for a computer until they come out? I need something to work on.

I've been wracking my brain trying to decide what I could do to hold out. Buy a bare minimum used Mac Mini to get by? Rent a Mac? Either of these options will be adding $500 - $1000 to my eventual overall purchase price. (I suppose I could resell the used equipment.)

 

So, make ends meet and hold out? - although there is no guarantee when those might come out or just go ahead and buy the Mac Studio now and it will still be a good machine. There will always be FOMO over buying.

 

I think I would be fairly safe buying the Apple Studio Display now.

 

Thanks for your input.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

120

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update the day after WWDC and speculations on when the M4 macs will start coming out. (apparently, many models will be skipping the M3 chip and going straight to M4.) According to Max Tech on YouTube, the prediction is that this fall we will see the M4 MacBook Pro come out, but the Mac Stduio probably won't come out until next year. I can't wait that long! 

 

I'm wondering now if I should wait the 3 months and get the M4 MacBook Pro instead and dock it with the Apple Studio Display? This would also give me the flexibility to travel with my laptop and do onsite workshops / classes which I've been wanting to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody knows until Apple announces any new machines. Buy what you need, sell it in six months if you have to.

Personally, I'd get an M2 from Apple's refurb store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@lesnicole could you get by with an M2 mini for the meanwhile? 

 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines