• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image colors change when I export layers in Photoshop

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop there are two "quick export" options, right? One under the "File" menu, and one under the "Layer" menu (standart shortcut Ctrl+Shift+'), that allows you to export multiple selected layers as different files. But, when i use the latter, the colors and levels look dull. I have no idea how to fix that and feel like I have tried everything. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

What is the original image’s Color Space (usually defined as an ICC Profile)? 

Whate are the Edit > Color Settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They look 'dull' viewed in what application? Sounds like that other application isn't color managed like Photoshop.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK both methods should end up in the same result as they are both using Adobe's "Generator" to save the content. For PNG no ICC profile is embedded, JPEG does have the option to include an ICC profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need someone fix this as soon as posible.

The option File > Export > Layers to Files does NOT work properly.

If the original layer is in white and black, the result shouldn't be sometimes in white and black and sometimes in gray and black.

Literally, 90% of my exported layers are white and black, and 10% gray and black. So it's not anything related to the document color profile etc.

Steps to reproduce the bug:

Latest version of Photoshop 2023

Image > Mode > Grayscale

Each layer is in white and black, pure white and black

File > Export > Layers to Files

File Name Prefix: ""

Visible Layers Only: UNCHECK

File Type: PNG

Include ICC Profile: UNCHECK

Transparency: UNCHECK

Interlaced: UNCHECK

Trim Layers: UNCHECK

The color that is used to replace the pure white is #606060 and the PNG files have a Image > Mode > Indexed color > [#606060, #000000]

Contact me and I can provideo a screen recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rodrigo21788888pltm 

Please us why you are exporting. I'd prefer to use the legacy "save as" - you can set that in preferences.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't undestand this answer. I have a document with hundreds of layers, I have to export each one to a PNG file. Using the Save us or the legacy Save us I can not split the PSB file into many PNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

What is the original image’s Color Space (usually defined as an ICC Profile)? 

Whate are the Edit > Color Settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the screenshots.

Any idea why is this happening?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using Dot Gain 20% grayscale profile. The dot gain profiles are rather outdated generic profiles for offset print, not really used anymore. In a modern workflow you'd be using the black ink component in the appropriate CMYK profile.

Grayscale is subject to standard color management just like RGB! Obviously there's no color, but the tone response curve is different in different grayscale profiles.

Even if you embed this profile in the exported file, there's no guarantee that it will be correctly represented in whatever destination this is for. Some applications support grayscale profiles, but many do not. InDesign and Illustrator for instance, don't support grayscale profiles. It will just output numerically on the black plate (which is why you'd use the K component in CMYK).

If this is for screen, you'd use Gray Gamma 2.2 or sGray.

I'd also note that PNG is a web format, not a print format. Are you sure PNG is the right format here, not TIFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed the color profile to use this one and saved it, how you suggested I think. But when I export the layers, I have the same problem, they are not in black and white, they are in gray and black.

Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have turned all color management off. Never do that! It will not solve any problems, only make them a lot worse.

I suggest you stop everything here and go back to start. Reset all color settings back to defaults. Just pick one of the "general purpose"-presets.

Then you should reconsider whether you really want this to be grayscale. If you still do, it's essential that you use the right profile. If this is going to offset print, use the K component in the appropriate CMYK profile. If this is for screen, use Gray Gamma 2.2.

If you don't know, avoid grayscale. An RGB file in either sRGB or Adobe RGB is much safer. It will be more widely supported and with higher probability of correct treatment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You suggested to use Gray Gamma 2.2 and that Settings option includes Gray Gamma 2.2.

Anyway, this change doesn't change the results whern I export the layers.

I think this is a bug, because the results are not consistent, some layers (always the same) are exported fine and some others nope. Even worst, if I down scale the image, the results are pretty much all right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't. Your screenshot shows you have turned off color management.

What that setting means, the way it is set now, is that the working space only determines how Photoshop displays the image when it is open. Photoshop always has to use some profile to display the image.

But the profile is not embedded when you save the file! It does not travel with the file. The instant this file leaves Photoshop, it is untagged, and how it is treated outside Photoshop is completely random.

Color management policies should never be set to "off", ever. It means the numbers in the file are undefined. That setting should IMO just be permanently removed, it makes no sense in a modern workflow.

Set it back to "Preserve Embedded Profiles", and don't change it again. That's the way Photoshop is designed to work. With this setting, the embedded profile will always override the working space. As it should.

And even so, how the file is treated in other applications depends on their support for grayscale profiles. And that is hit or miss. RGB color profiles are much more widely supported, and that's why I say it's much safer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If RGB versions are fine, then select the layers in the layers panel and then right-click and select the Export As contextual menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option Export As works fine, but I think I left very clear that that option is not what I want, I have hundreds of layers I need the option Layers To Files instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the export layers to files script is not giving you the required results, but export as from the layers panel does, then I obviously don't understand the issue. There are alternatives scripts:

https://github.com/antipalindrome/Photoshop-Export-Layers-to-Files-Fast

And there is also Generator - Generate Image Assets, where there are various scripts and panels to bulk renmae layers to add/remove the filename extension etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines