• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images aren't loading at Defult resolution. PS 2020

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to work on an image fron a Pentax WG-10 camer, loading into PS 2020. I have set the defualt PX/in at 150 (edit>preferances>units & rulers>screen resolution = 150>OK. This should set the defualt res at 159, right? but when I load an image from the camera, it is loaded at 72 Px/inch. Isn't the "defualt" the level it is supposed to load at every time? What am I missing?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw camera files don't have a default resolution, this is set via the Adobe Camera Raw "workflow options" text hyperlink:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/camera-raw/using/camera-raw-settings.html#specify_camera_raw_workflow_opt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but when I set the defualt res in PS, shouldn't the images I open be set at that defualt setting? I can save in image I reset to 150 & it will reload to 150. But if I have the defualt set yo 150 & open a new jpg file from the camera, it opens at 72 PX/in...How do I fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presumed raw data, not JPEG. For JPEG files, they will either have a resolution metadata value, or nothing. If nothing Photoshop will default to 72ppi, but other apps may default to 96ppi etc.

Once the image is opened, use Image > Image Size, uncheck/untick resample image and set the resolution to 150ppi.

This will change the resolution metadata without affecting the quality of your pixels. The print size of the image will adapt accordingly.

You can record this into an action.

The action could be saved as a Droplet, but I wouldn't advise that unless the action was doing other processing. A script would be better as it can set the resolution without decompressing/recompressing the lossy JPEG file.

You can then have Photoshop automatically set the resolution of all opened files using this action, but you may prefer to manually control this. If many images are open, you can use Batch on the open images to set the resolution using the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe I am missing something here...you mention "raw" files from the camera - I see "jpg" files on the disk. Is there a difference, and how do I set the camera to produce "raw" image files? And will this fix the prob.em?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got your 2'nt reply after mine - so I need to find a way to set the camera to raw...will look into this - thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe I am missing something here...you mention "raw" files from the camera - I see "jpg" files on the disk. Is there a difference, and how do I set the camera to produce "raw" image files? And will this fix the prob.em?

By @Stephen33081623xdnj

A quick search indicated that this camera doesn't offer raw image format support. Perhaps there is an in-camera option to set a default resolution for in-camera JPEG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to work on an image fron a Pentax WG-10 camer, loading into PS 2020. I have set the defualt PX/in at 150 (edit>preferances>units & rulers>screen resolution = 150>OK. 

By @Stephen33081623xdnj

No, this is for new documents only, not existing ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a particular reason you are concerned about the resolution?  Google tells me your camera has a 14.0MP, 4288 x 3216 pixel sensor.   The pixels-per-inch resolution will determin how large an image will print, but it is usually better to set the linear size, and then check the PPI to make sure your pixel density will be sufficient to create a decent print.  If you don't intend to print an image, then its 'resolution' is entirely meaningless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines