• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing text from Word into Photoshop and exporting it as a .png - Text is pixelated

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am new to PS.

I created a tribute page for my senior daughter's HS yearbook using Microsoft Word.

After sending my page to the yearbook dept., I was told that all of my photos were blurry, even after converting them to 300 dpi (using a free online dpi converter).

So I purchased PS, converted the original photos to 300 dpi using that and fixed that problem.

I naively thought that I could do the same thing with the 500-word text box I created in Word (I did not use WordArt), but that is proving to be way more complicated.

I have tried many methods:

- Copying the text, pasting it into a new Word .doc, saving the new .doc as a .pdf and then opening that in PS,

- Copying the text, pasting it as a picture into a new Word .doc, then saving the new .doc as a picture (tried both .jpg and .png), then opening those in PS,

- Using the screen clipping tool and saving that as an image,

- etc., etc.

The problem is not with getting the Word .doc text imported into PS; I actually did that.

The issue is that when I view the text in PS after importing it , the text is very pixelated.

I tried using the sharpening and softening tools, but that didn't help.

Exporting the text from PS as high quality .jpg or .png didn't fix the problem either.

I would prefer not to have to retype all of the 500-word text into PS if I don't absolutely have to, because the text I want to copy/paste was created in Word to fit around the photos I'd already fixed on the page, and I really don't have more time to spend learning how to manipulate text around images in PS.

Is there an easy solution to my text pixelation problem, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and retype the text in PS, potentially sacrificing the word wrapping I was able to get in Word?

Or is it actually easier to manipulate text around images in PS than what I believe?

Any guidance/advice would be appreciated, but keep in mind that I'm a total "newbie" to PS and I won't understand much of the lingo and/or shortcuts that many of you experts might already be accustomed to.

Thank you so much!  🙂

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

We can tell you up front that the text shouuld be the sharpest thing on the page, so something has gone a wee bit wrong.

One thing to do before copying the text in Word is to select it all (Ctrl A) and clear all formatting with Ctrl Space Bar.  That gets rid of all the weird formatting that Word may have applied, as it tends not to play nicely when pasted into another app.

The important thing is to start with an appropriate document size, so I have used the Print tab and selected A4 and 300d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can tell you up front that the text shouuld be the sharpest thing on the page, so something has gone a wee bit wrong.

One thing to do before copying the text in Word is to select it all (Ctrl A) and clear all formatting with Ctrl Space Bar.  That gets rid of all the weird formatting that Word may have applied, as it tends not to play nicely when pasted into another app.

The important thing is to start with an appropriate document size, so I have used the Print tab and selected A4 and 300dpi.  That gave me a pixel size of 2480 x 3508

image.png

I then dragged out a good size Text Box, set the font to 14pt, and pasted in the text from your post.

Note that it is crucial to set the text anti aliassing to something other than none.  That might be your issue in fact.-

image.png

To demonstrate the effect of anti aliassing (aa) the screen shot below shows the same text, one with aa set to Strong, and theer to None, and zoomed in to 400%.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

I appreciate your insights, and especially your easy to follow screen shots - I will give this a try and let you know how it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I followed your instructions to the letter (I hope!).

I typed out a new Word .doc (for copy/paste purposes), and I cleared all of the formatting by holding down Ctrl + Space Bar.

Then I copied the Word .doc text by hitting Ctrl-A to select all of the content (including the text box) and right-clicking Copy.

I opened PS, selected New File, Size A4.

I chose the Text Tool, Changed the font to Calibri Regular (the font I'm using on the tribute page), and used 14 pt like you did.

I changed the Anti-Aliasing to Strong, as you suggested.

Then I dragged out a large text box, and pasted the content on to the background two times by right-clicking: Once using Paste and once using Paste without Formatting (I wanted to see if there was a difference between the two methods).

*It might be relevant to note here that the text box content did not automatically paste from the clipboard to PS, even though I used Ctrl-A to highlight/select the Word document's entire content...I had to go back to the Word .doc again, use Ctrl-A inside the text box itself and then paste it separately into PS.

Then I zoomed in to 400% to take the screenshots.

Alas, the text still looks extremely pixelated to me (the two different paste methods did not seem to make a difference).

Could my problem be the font that I am using (Calibri)?

Could it be the method I'm using to copy and/or paste?

Should I try a different Anti-Aliasing setting?

Thank you again for your kind assistance - I hope you can tell me what I'm still doing wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not entirely sure what is wrong now.  We zoomed in to 400% purely to exaggerate how clean the type is.  You need to view at 100% for a true appraisal. 

A couple of points to clear up.  You several times mentioned using Ctrl A to select all.  I assume you then used Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste?

What is your image size in pixels?  It looks like you might have the rulers set to Inches.  That's perfectly OK, so long as you understand the relationship between image size in pixels, and pixels per inch.  The latter is only really relevant if you need to print the document.

For the sake of clarity, I am going to suggest that you set Rulers to pixels and Type to points, and print resolution to 300pp/i

image.png

I wasn't saying that you should set the text aa to strong.  I was saying anything 'but' none.  You would never use none unless deliberately going for a chunky look.   The only time I worry about text aa is when using tiny text

Double click to open up the image below, and to be completely sure, right click and copy. Go to Photoshop and Ctrl N (new doc the size of the clipboard) and ctrl V to paste. Then use Ctrl Alt 0 (that's a zero) to view at 100%.  That's how your text should look.  Is that what you are seeing, or do you still have an issue?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I made some changes:

I did changes ruler pref's from inches to pixels, left type as points, and left print resolution at 300 ppi.

I also changed my screen resolution from 72 ppi to 96ppi (which is what I saw you were using).

When you asked me what my image size was, were you referring to my screenshot examples, or what I'm trying to do for the tribute page? I suppose that doesn't really matter, but if it is important that I know what an image size is beforehand I guess my question would be how would I know, other than either guessing or pulling up the image parameters (which shows in inches) while I'm still in Word?

I did notice one glaring incontinuity between what we're each doing: You use shortcuts to Copy and Paste, and I either use the dropdown menu options or right-click. Maybe that makes a difference?

Also, I totally get that you weren't telling me which aa to use...I only pointed that out so that I could keep doing everything that you were doing (for continuity purposes). I see now that there is a big difference which option you choose for that.

All that said, my text on the tribute page will be quite small (500 words, Calibri font, 9.5 font size), and it will be printed as a yearbook page, so one of the first things I learned before tackling PS was about how dpi affects printing. Looks like I got that covered, at least.

Finally, I did copy/paste the above example (quick brown fox) following your shortcut instructions, and changed the view to 100%, and it looks pretty much the same as yours.

So I'm going to give it another go, and hope that it comes out looking cleaner than what I submitted to the yearbook committee last week...Fingers crossed!

Thank you so much for your kind (and patient!) assistance walking me through this - there is literally nothing more daunting than have to learn a new software (and a complicated one, at that) to put something together on a deadline.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello -

Well I tried just about everything I could think of and nothing could solve the pixelation problem with my imported text. I even tried starting from scratch and just typing the whole thing over; and while that solved my pixelation issue I just couldn't get it looking how I wanted, and time was running out.

It turns out that someone posted on a different community member's page (I've read an awful lot of these) that creating a page on InDesign might be better suited for the kind of project that I was looking to do, so I ended up downloading that program and it was a lot easier for me to figure out...probaby because I'd done so much research on PS...and what took me days to figure out on PS took me only hours to put together on ID, and everything looks great.

The lesson that I took away from this is that when it comes to working strictly with images and minimal text, PS is definitely the way to go; but if you're looking to design any kind of page or brochure, InDesign is probably the better (and easier) option.

Thanks again for all of your kind assistance as I tried to figure this out - I know it's not easy trying to guide a complete novice through the intricacies of a complicated program like PS, and you were very helpful and kind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines