Exit

Impossible to select sub-layers with Auto-Select

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

our company just updated to CC2018.

As I often work with layers and sub-layers I noticed that the Auto-Select tool after the update often selects the "mother"-layer instead of the sub-layer I target, which is a no-go for my work-flow.

Even when right-clicking on the target sub-layers to manually select them, it won't recognize them.

Has anybody encountered the same problem and has a fix for it?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by

sub-layers

exactly?

A screenshot with the pertinent Panels might have made that clear right away …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you should have been talking about Groups: What are the Move Tool’s settings in the Options Bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the right term would be clipping-masks.

The move tool settings are set to Auto-Select: Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t seem to have any problems with Auto-selecting Layers that are Clipping Masked.

Please Prost meaningful screenshots including the Layers Panel to illustrate your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal behavior and it has always worked this way. You need to manually select the layer that things are clipped to...

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid c.pfaffenbichlers screen capture proves this is perfectly possible and my workflow has always depended on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps your sub-layers are locked? When layer which is clipped to some other layer is locked, Move tool with Auto Select > Layer will select the bottom layer or layer to which is clipped layer which you want to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your layer structure is exactly like c.pfaffenbchlers screen capture? Maybe your very top layer is an adjustment layer, or a color fill that is clipped to a lower layer, but without a layer mask. Auto select layer will select the top most layer if it fills the entire composition, even if that layer is just applying a color or tone to the layers below. This accidentally happens to me all of the time. I get around this problem by locking that layer so auto select will bypass it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suppose it depends on the selecting area, you should grab the sublayer on the edge of the clipping mask...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, either I don’t understand what the OP means in the absence of meaningful screenshots or Photoshop behaves differently on my computer.

azroSelecrClippingMaskLayers.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't capture my screen on my work PC but the manipulation you're showing is not working on my files.

Strangely enough, if I reproduce the same thing with simple shapes it works just fine.

Copying all the layers into a new file didn't help either so I still haven't figured out a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely enough, if I reproduce the same thing with simple shapes it works just fine.

Please clarify: is the problem that you always select the base layer or the topmost of the clipping masked layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's always selecting the base.
As I said I can reproduce the setting on your screen capture which is leading me to the conclusion that the problem might be related to the fact that the files I work with were created in CS6 (I updated to CC only last week). I'll report back after some testing.
Thank you all for your contributions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's behaving differently because your clipping mask is not completely covering the layer below. I don't think I've ever made a partial clipping mask.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines