• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

in photoshop CC 2014 where did the oil paint filter go? it is the filter i need for almost every photo

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the oil paint filter anymore in the recent version, it is not hidden in the paint galleries. I hope that Adobe did include it otherwise i cant use the updates anymore....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Hello, it is not available anymore in CC(2014) hence why it is installed side by side to CC.

The info was posted a few months ago: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, give us back the Oil Paint filter! Even if you never put any more work into improving it. I really need it, and I don't want to keep two or more versions of Photoshop installed, just for a filter that I need. I did not yet even use it for special effects that some people described here. I mostly use it to make old 3MP photos usable for posters. A totally pixelated image can be turned into a beautiful large poster with the Oil Paint filter. But also just to create a special artistic look to images for decoration. What are you going to do about it, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always praise Adobe for their innovative genius but this time they created a major catastrophe.

I am in the middle of illustrations for a book and an accompanying app. The oil paint filter was a major part of the styling. I had to uninstall PS 2014 since I can't really use it . There is too much work to have to redesign a years worth of illustrations. Not to mention problematic, to tell the publisher Adobe has deleted one of my tools, blah,blah,blah.

I wld suggest that efforts be employed to develop an add-on or plugin to aid the artists and photographers who rely on the OilPaint filter in their work. Can't imaging you geniuses won't put some energy into that idea. Hello?

And JJMack -- I assume u are being sarcastic. Adobe is ART!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aa_lique, you didn't have to uninstall Photoshop CC 2014 in order to use Photoshop CC 14.x.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2014 Oct 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 11.40.54 AM.png

Install photoshop CS6 and you can use the oil paint filter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2014 Oct 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudia, install Photoshop CC 14.0 and you can use the Oil Paint filter too.  It's only been removed in Photoshop CC (2014).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudia, Noel, are you making fun of us, or just restating the problem? Yes, I now have two versions of the same software installed, which is already ridiculous. What about CC 2015? Do we need to have three versions installed then to have all the features we need? What next? No updates anymore, but only additional versions? Someone already compiling a table of which version we need to run for each feature we'd like to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is that different from Photoshop 1,2, ...7...CS,CS2...CS6? Each of these added and removed features.

I agree that removing features is a bad thing to do, and doesn't show sufficient commitment. But having to run multiple versions is nothing new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I don't know how it went in the past. I've been using Photoshop since version 2. I never missed a feature in a new version, the Oil Paint Filter is the first time that a feature that is essential to me has been removed, and there is no replacement. Not even third party.

I have actually installed GREYCstoration in CC2014, which is very nice to reduce noise (that's what's advertised), but no replacement for Oilpaint. If it only affects the ~5 people who complain here, ignore us. But I don't think so.

Since the code already exist, why not publish the OPF as an unsupported plugin? Or sell separately? Whatever. Just don't simply take it away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not making fun of...coping for now...and feeling grateful for what we got.

Good vibes...;) Remember that these creators of Photoshop are humans too.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 5:52 AM, wdburgdorf <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, Claudia. We are all humans.

But that does not mean we don't make giant mistakes... Humans admit mistakes. That is if they FEEL human. Humans with a God Complex forget that they are human

and believe mistakes do apply to them.

Photoshop is Titanic... The Programmers are Mr. Andrews. The guys deciding over the fate of Photoshop are Mr. Ismay.

Mr. Ismay in his own stupidity bursts out : ' But this ship Can't Sinck '

Mr. Andrews, which is a human without a God Complex, responds: 'It is made of iron, sir - I assure you that it can... and it will'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your analogy may be a bit flawed, AtonMusic.  Photoshop is more like 1,000 little boats.  One may hit an iceberg, but 999 of them are still going.

The removal of the Oil Paint filter does not break the entire product.  What's left still provides a great deal of value to many people. 

Like you, I'm one of those who hopes Adobe will listen and return the feature to the product - I liked it and found it useful too.

But I'm also capable of realizing that the money that would have to be spent to re-float that one little boat and staff it with a crew may be overwhelming compared to the additional passenger carrying capacity it would restore...

It's a very difficult thing to choose to deprecate existing features from a product - certainly as users we all expect continuity of all the features we use and love - but occasionally as a business decision it makes sense.

And let's not forget that there are new features we all get from time to time.  We don't complain that the price of the subscription has not gone up when we get them.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One may hit an iceberg" - too bad when you happen to sit in that particular boat ... who's going to praise the value of the other 999 boats while his is sinking?

You'd rather scream, hope that someone hears you and throws a life-saver. So I hope Adobe will listen and invest in putting the filter back - not like they had to reinvent the code.

But so far none of them has responded at all. Are they ever even looking at this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is most certainly aware that they've stirred up ill feelings by removing the plug-in (I raked them over the coals myself several times as well), and yes, they do read this forum.

And while it's not an ideal solution, Adobe DID provide you with a lifeboat (the ability to run the older version of Photoshop).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you stating the boat is sinking and Adobe is abandoning ship with lifeboats

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go purchase Topaz Impressionist.  It does a great job and has many paint looks.  It does cost but it's worth it and not expensive.

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

Are you stating the boat is sinking and Adobe is abandoning ship with lifeboats

As I illustrated above, the operative concept is boat, not armada, as in a tiny part of Photoshop got worse.  There is no question the Oil Paint boat hit something and sank.  That's not to say it wasn't an important part to some people.

OilPaintDeprecated.png

The Adobe fleet that is the entirety of Photoshop continues to grow stronger.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible ---

It was a very nice effect.

They keep removing the great stuff and adding stuff no one needs.... Cant wait for Affinity Image.... I have been using PS since V1.

The past 5 years, this wonderful software keeps getting slower and fuller of no-use features.

First one had to install Pixel Bender to get Oilpaint.... THEN - they removed that. And made it a part of PS. Then they kill it..

So out of touch with what is great and what is NOT !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a tip for all developers: never, ever, ever remove a feature that you have once introduced.  It is complete lunacy.  Microsoft found that whenever they remove a feature, or think about removing a feature, they never do, because there is always a significant group who use a particular feature.  It is the same here.  Why the hell would you do it?  So, it takes a lot of effort!  What of it?  I pay good money every month, as do a lot of other people, and we have certain expectations of what is in the product.  I know I'm not going to discontinue my subscription, but come on guys, get your act together.  We want more features, not fewer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for reference, Microsoft HAS deleted all kinds of features in Win 8.  And we see how successful it's been.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156585-features-and-options-removed-in-windows-8/

In principle I very much agree with you.  The roll-out of a new feature in Photoshop implies - if for no other reason because of past history - that there will be ongoing support.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am concerned that no one from Adobe is addressing this issue of the disappearing oilPaint filter?

Dear ADOBE

Can you provide a plugin? Are you working on it? Can you share that with us? Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It not an issue of a mysterious disappearing oil paint filter.  Adobe removed the feature it was done during their spring clean up. No more messy oil paint. The removal was not accidental it was a deliberate removal.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Posted last week, somehow didn't go right through ...)

I like the boat analogy. And yes, the Paint filter in the old PS is indeed a lifeboat for me, currently. A lifeboat that's losing air quickly. How many version can I keep installed at a time? It's alread 3 now.

@ Thanks for mentioning Topaz Impression - looks very cool indeed, and at $99 it's not super expensive either. The examples on their site look way better than what I have done with the Oil Pint Filter so far. Since I use the Filter for a long term series it would probably take quite a bit of effort to get the same look with something else. If PS really doesn't get the OPF back, this might be the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack - Messy? What exactly is messy about the Oil Paint Filter? I had great results with it. Perhaps messy for someone who never seriously tried to use it and figure out what it can do. For me it is still mysterious why Adobe deliberately chose to take it away from us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ask Adobe why they thought it was a mess I did not make the call.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what scares me the most is that adobe failed to realize how great oil paint is. What wonders one can achieve with it. I am using Oilpaint on just about everything.

Subtly yes and sometimes with a 5% opacity but it gives that incredible look to the image.

So what frightens me is that adobe never realized how powerful the plug-in was. If they had, I doubt they would have removed it.

I never use content-aware fill as I find that it never yields 100% and I always have to correct this and that when using it, so I do manually as I always have.

And I doubt that they would remove CA Fill 😉

Adobe, in case you ever read this, I believe that you have and that to the extreme, severely underestimated the power of Oilpaint and the size of its user base...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines