• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inability to scale pattern while using Pattern Stamp Tool

New Here ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pattern Stamp tool is great, I love being able to paint with patterns. But I can't seem to find any way to scale the pattern itself, which is preventing it from being useful to me. 

Observe:

The brick texture is too large. I'd like to scale down and "paint in" where I'd like it.

johnb3703451_0-1715012951220.png

Is there a way to scale the pattern while using the pattern stamp tool?

Please note that I am not referring to the PATTERN FILL tool, or the PATTERN OVERLAY option in "Layer Blending." I am looking for advice specifically related to the pattern stamp tool.

Thanks to anyone who can answer. You're a G

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pattern Stamp Tool uses a predefined pattern from the Patterns panel. Although you can change the size of the brush for the Pattern Stamp Tool in the Options bar, that only adjusts the size of how much of the pattern is applied--not the size of the actual pattern.

To scale the pattern, you could apply it to a layer, scale the pattern down, and define a new pattern using that scaled version (Edit > Define Pattern...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response, Myra - great to have a conclusive answer at last. I hope that Adobe considers adding such a feature to future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're very welcome. 🙂

You could post it as an idea here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/ct-p/ct-photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filt...

There is a similar panel for the Clone Stamp tool which is the Clone Source panel (Window > Clone Source) that does let you adjust the scale of the cloned area.

That being said, that's acutally another approach that you could take--fill a layer with the brick pattern, select the Clone tool, and use the Clone Source panel to scale it down however much you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines