• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

incompatible GPU

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to the latest version of PS and now get a message everytime I open PS saying my GPU is incompatible. As everything functioned perfectly well with the previous version of PS, is there a way on CC to revert to the older previous version  of PS?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stewart16B8 what GPU do you currently have, you can only go back to versions 25.xx, 24.xx and version 22.2 from the Creative Cloud app

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GPU is a Radeon Pro Vega 56 8, in a 2017 27" iMac Pro. So only about 6 years old. I do expect to get close to 10 years usage out of my hardware. So not happy if I need to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteI do expect to get close to 10 years usage out of my hardware. So not happy if I need to update.

By @Stewart16B8

That's probably more down to Apple than anyone else. The drivers for the GPU are Apple drivers.

I'd downgrade to v24, which is easy to do in the CC app. Just uninstall and go to "older versions" to reinstall.

A 10-year horizon was reasonable before, but it seems development everywhere is accelerating - and backwards compatibility no longer in fashion. Nowadays 5 years is more realistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is Adobe that have introduced an upgrade that is not compatible with older GPUs. At least Adobe could have had a warning for users to check compatibility issues before updating. As for expecting to renew hardware every five or "six" years, we have too much rapid obsolesence already. I opened up a PS file on the latest I'm working on this morning on this latest version of PS, and no incompatability warning. everything seemed to be functioning as normal, except I wanted to use the Puppet Warp, but on trying to apply it I just got an anouncement that it could not make the mesh. But that seems to be because of the complicated nature of the layer as when I test applied to another layer it was able to create a mesh with no problem. So still uncertain how much of a problem the GPU imcompatability is! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In principle I agree with you. I think it's horrible that fully functional hardware has to be thrown away just because the industry has decided that they make more money by having us buy all new.

My point is that singling out Adobe in this, is a bit naive. The whole industry works this way, and any vendor that falls behind will lose in this race. The choice is often beween legacy support and backwards compatibility on one side, and optimal performance on new systems on the other side. You can't have both, not how the industry paradigms work nowadays. And in that equation, it should be no surprise which one they go for.

So, I may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have other bang up to date graphics software by other developers that have not had any compatability issues. So where does the problem actualy originate? Is it not a bit naive to blame Apple because one developer decides compatability with what are no doubt pretty common GPUs is not worth their consideration. As I already mentioned Adobe could have put out some information concerning this, so some of us would not waste any of our precious time dealing with it after the fact.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines