• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increasing image size doesn't work

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make a website logo larger. It is a .png file. I have tried increasing the pixel size and also increasing the size in inches.

In Photoshop, it looks like I have indeed made it larger. However, when I upload it to the site it  actually looks even smaller. I don't understand this.

I have just increased the size of the image and yet it looks smaller on the site instead of larger.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a million.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Then the site is scaling down to fit a certain pixel size. To see what those pixel dimensions are, take a screenshot and open it in Photoshop.

Only pixels matter here. Everything else is irrelevant and you can forget abot the physical dimensions or resolution. They don't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be good if you stated which Potoshop feature you are using to change size. Some have dialogs like size and tool like transforn have the option bar in these you can use units like px or pixels, in, cm %

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

To change image size, in the Menu on top, I go to Image, Image Size. This gives me the Image Size window.

Here, I change the size either in Pixel Dimensions or Document Size (I've tried it both ways).

I also increase the Resolution.

I leave Scale Size, Constrain Proportions, Resample Image - Bicubic Automatic checked. Then I click Okay.

The results I get after doing this shows the image to be larger for sure. However, when I upload it to the website, it looks the same or even smaller.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the site is scaling down to fit a certain pixel size. To see what those pixel dimensions are, take a screenshot and open it in Photoshop.

Only pixels matter here. Everything else is irrelevant and you can forget abot the physical dimensions or resolution. They don't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, I think you're right. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome. If the template you are using is from a company that offers good support you may be able to have them make suggestions for editing the responsive code so that your logo will remain a fixed size or at least set a minimum width. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Right. most website Container(s) div's have some CSS style paddings applied to them.

Sound like your Header container have paddings, so, your logo can not expand the full width of the site.

You can use Firebug (Firefox extension) to verify/test this.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is that your web browser is displaying the cached, old version of the image.

Try pressing F5 or Ctrl/Cmd + F5 to reload the page.

If that doesn't work, go into the browser settings and clear/empty the cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Image size dialog change the size of the whole document. There are two ways the image size feature can resize your document controlled with the Resample option. 

When uncheck the document Print size is change by changing the size pixels will be printed. No a single pixels  is altered and the file size remains the same. Only the document DPI resolution is changed.

When resample is checked all the pixels currently in the image  be replaced with a new set of pixels fr the new image the existing pixels will be interpolated into.  You need to be careful here,  Width and Height should be link otherwise the image will distort.  When ever you interpolate an image you will loose some image quality.  If you decrease the image size the interpolation will discard some details you currently have for the image,  If you increase the number of pixels the interpolation process need to create details you do not have.  When you resample an image you create a new image the has a different number of pixels. The resolution can also be changed and the image can be distorted into a different aspect ratio. 

You need to play around with the Image size dialog to see how it works.   Currently you do not know how to use it well.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you uploading the image too? Is it to a Wordpress or a responsive website template? If it is then your issue may lie with the CSS which scales the image and not a Photoshop problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines