• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing and Controlling Photoshop's ScriptListener Plug-in

Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've long wanted a way to control Adobe's Photoshop ScriptListener Plug-in. Yesterday I stumbled onto  James A. Taylor Photoshop script vScriptListener.jsx which is dated 9/19/2007. This script can install and give you some control over the script logs that the plug-in writes to while your in Photoshop. With this script GUI you can see the current size of the Script log files, clear a log file, edit a log file and lock a log file from alteration by the ScriptListener and the script.  I like this script so much that I created an action for it just so I could open its GUI with a function key. James wrote this script in the CS2 time frame some path have changed and now we have 64 bit and 32 bit Plug-in and different plug-in folders.  I changed the script to work with Windows XP install paths. The install ScriptListener part of the Script will therefore not work in a dual install  64 bit and 32 bit environment. However the GUI will work if the ScriptListener Plug-in is installed in your Photoshop your 64 bit and 32 bit setup. Here is a link to the updated script http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/vScriptListener.jsx

JJMack
TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't run it, but the code looks interesting. It looks like a nice addition to my arsenal.

I have a few scripts that also fiddle with the ScriptListener log file. xtools/xapps/LastLogEntry.jsx

will pull out the last entry from the log file and provides the option of cleaning it up to

make it easier to drop into another script. xtools/xapps/ActionFileFromSLCode.jsx

converts a file of ScriptListener code into an Action file.

One problem that I am seeing is that PS is generating fewer events to the ScriptingListener

log file with each new rev. Not quite sure why.

BTW, I always run the plugin. Other than the fact that I shold probably delete it on occasion,

I don't see any real reason not to.

-X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you use 'LastLogEntry.jsx' provided by X's toolkit…? I just control the log with a trip to the trash…

Ah… I see X beat me to this…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah… I see X beat me to this…

I'm actually awake this time of day for a change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often wondered what time zone is it… in limbo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always wanted to put an option dialog box on listener.

- Check box for off / on

- Browse button for location of output file

- Limit for size of output file

Worthwhile or should I just let others write manager scripts for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooo those jive gremlins care not who they have a go at… total lack of respect… You need a trip to forum admin…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I have added an option in ESTK to clear the log, and prefer to keep scriptListner running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom Ruark-AM2Ghw wrote:

Worthwhile or should I just let others write manager scripts for it?

It seems that those of us who really use the plug-in a lot have already come with with way to manage it. I would much rather you spend your time extending the Object Model. Say read/write access to tool options or adding an argument to document.imageResize for scale styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't like about the vScriptListener.JSX and the LastLogEntry.jsx script is that their use is recorded into the logs that the ScriptListener writes from an Action or Photoshop menu File>Scripts>... . I like vScriptListener.JSX GUI for managing the log files would even like to see it active all the time and not interfear with Photoshop other then locking and unlocking the logs.  I'm a windows user and kenw it would be an easy job to do using a dos bat file.  I'm sure X could write a JavaScript application to do the LastLogEntry function external to Photoshop if he wanted to.  Will DOS ever die? Here is my Windows Bat file which I created a shortcut for on my desktop that positions a three line Dos Window for its user interface at the bottom right of my screen.

@Echo Off

:loop

CLS

rem Display Log File Size

Dir "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log" /T:W /4 | find "%ScriptingListenerJS.log"

rem Display Log Attributes  R read only Locked no R log is Unlocked

Attrib "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log"

Rem If timeout is user the above display lines will refresh over time else you need to use enter or number

rem Ask -t60 -u Enter:1 to Lock, 2 to Unlock, 3 to Edit, 4 to Clear, 5 To Exit :

Ask -u Enter:1 to Lock, 2 to Unlock, 3 to Edit, 4 to Clear, 5 To Exit :

rem Echo %ERRORLEVEL%

if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 goto timeout

if %ERRORLEVEL%==49 goto one

if %ERRORLEVEL%==50 goto two

if %ERRORLEVEL%==51 goto three

if %ERRORLEVEL%==52 goto four

if %ERRORLEVEL%==53 goto five

goto loop

:timeout

goto loop

:one

Attrib +R "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log"

goto loop

:two

Attrib -R "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log"

goto loop

:three

Rem inline command use CMD independate command use start

CMD /C notepad "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log"

rem Start notepad "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log"

goto loop

:four

Rem If the script log file is unlocked not read only  this echo will clear it

Echo. > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ScriptingListenerJS.log"

goto loop

:five

EXIT

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I just don't see the need for constant adjusting of the scriptlistener plug-in. Several of us have reported no noticeable performance loss by leaving the plug-in installed at the time.

I like the idea that I can install the plug-in then set the lanaguage log I do not need to read only and forget about it. No need to worry if it is installed or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes onece the plugin is installed just leave it installed. The Script and Bat file just help you to manage the log file. You can turn loging off, and on, by seting the log file read only attribute and you can also clear and edit the log file. Why log everything and just let the log file get huge and eat disk space.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines