• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to buy a "non cloud" version of Photoshop ?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a custumer of Photoshop since PS4 back in the nineties... I'm not interested in working in the cloud, nor online...

Is there any "normal" option to upgrade my CS6 version normally ?

I feel like being left over by Adobe...

No cool 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

CS6 was/ is the last standalone version. From here on, new versions will only be available as subscription.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 141 Replies 141
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire issue with companies is there are only so many new tools and upgrades you can add to software to entice users to purchase the latest version.  While agreed that Adobe’s software should have many good and relevant new tools you can still only go so far. 

Will all the updates be true value or just gimmicky?  Not sure. But think of MS Office is there really enough enhancements to justify the latest MS Word even above 2007?  I would argue there is not.  Same with Outlook 2007, Excel 2010, Access 2010 and PP 2010. You can only go so far with these programs.  Companies realizing this need a way of extracting money to stay in business so therefore cloud based fee systems arise.  Plain and simple. 

This model will reduce innovation because, as earlier posters stated, there is less motivation to innovate.  However, it will open a door to another company that can fill that gap.  I for one will be staying with CS6 for as long as possible.  Eventually I may be forced to accept or switch but will cross or burn that bridge when it comes. 

Of course me as a consumer want a low cost (or no cost) option.  Also of course Adobe wants to make as much as it can.  I just hope a great software isn’t grounded because of corporate profit models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 and I am very happy with it. But I guess that I will look for another company that will care about what the customer wants, and not their own pocketbook after this. I am simple not interested at all in a subscription based model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at other editors and all of them fall way short of what Photoshop & Lightroom can do.  I suppose if you use 5 or 6 lesser  products, you'll get something close but that seems a bit extreme to me. 

Most people are very happy with the subscription model.  

You get the very latest software, plus free upgrades & support for as long as you remain a member. 

What's not to like?

Even if you're not a power user, the Photography Plan (PS Extended + Lightroom) for $10/month is a great deal. 

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this video on the subject of Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

The one main thing I hate about it is that I do not own it. Same thing with a car, I would never lease a car. The company makes out like a bandit on it, and I have no equity in it. I can't sell anything to update the product. This makes no sense to me, and never will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about when the "newest upgrades" and "latest software" DON'T WORK OR DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO - and have been using the program for years for?  Hell of a think. Suddenly one function just worked entirely differently, and there is no way to do what I have to do a lot in my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wonder how many people just went and got older versions. glad i still have my physical copy. oldy but a goody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, celebrating 4 years of not upgrading to CC! I really did not need CS6 apart from the ACR improvements but upgraded anyway. Can anyone tell me, honestly, of any new tools worth the subscription?  That would be a tool worth about £400 - the saving so far!! I would be interested to know. I see nothing of any merit whatsoever and a previous post suggested innovation would stop and that seems to be the case. Have there been any improvements to ACR, and yes, I mean real ones that actually improve the image? I mean like the big jump from CS5 ACR to CS6 ACR which had dramatic increase in detail recovery of at least 1 stop etc. Not a pathetic tweak to make an existing tool like the grad slightly more flexible. Still very happy with CS6 btw:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I abhor monthly subscriptions.  I've used and upgraded my Adobe products pretty much every other version since the 90's.  Companies want to have a constant stream of income just like credit card companies.  I won't take part in their economic model.  I use Adobe PS and Premier but 3-6x a year, so certainly not worth it to me.  I'll be moving on to Serif or some other company but Adobe I'm through with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy stand alone versions of PS Elements, Lightroom 6 and Premier Elements.  No monthly payments involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kev – If the applications you mentioned do everything you want then fine. But as a design professional, I find the subscription model of around £50 a month, with access to the whole range of Adobe Creative applications plus updates, excellent value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Derek+Cross  wrote

Hi Kev – If the applications you mentioned do everything you want then fine. But as a design professional, I find the subscription model of around £50 a month, with access to the whole range of Adobe Creative applications plus updates, excellent value.

But if you think about it, it isn't a great value once you pass about 4 1/2 years... see my graph (above). And those other services? For myself, I use enough of the suite to make the Suite the most cost effective subscription but not enough of the Suite's offerings to make it an excellent value, compared to the old stand-alone purchased model. I am guessing that most of us are in the same boat as me... using only Adobe, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere.

If only Adobe added Captivate into the mix... I might be less likely to complain about any of this. A small gesture that would hugely benefit me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I HATE the cloud and subscription versions of Adobe Photoshop - it is AWFUL! It runs so slow and it takes FOREVER to open. I would never recommend it anyone looking for Photoshop - look for a copy of CS6 and stick with that you'll be much happier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effective Jan 2017, Adobe stopped making & selling Creative Suite products.  CS6 can no longer be sold legally by any agent, re-seller or country. 

Photoshop Elements can still be purchased.

Picture editor software, photo enhancement tools | Adobe Photoshop Elements 15

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caarktct  wrote

OMG I HATE the cloud and subscription versions of Adobe Photoshop - it is AWFUL! It runs so slow and it takes FOREVER to open. I would never recommend it anyone looking for Photoshop - look for a copy of CS6 and stick with that you'll be much happier!

Caarktct,

With all due respect, the slowness that you are experiencing has nothing to do with the cloud subscription.

All the Adobe products are installed locally, on your computer and being a cloud-based subscription just means that it calls "home" from time to time to confirm that you have a valid license.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with our computers. We run very fast and efficient equipment. Photoshop is the only program that consistently lags on startup and often during operation and i never used to happen when we had CS6. Switching to the cloud version was a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caarktct  wrote

There's nothing wrong with our computers. We run very fast and efficient equipment. Photoshop is the only program that consistently lags on startup and often during operation and i never used to happen when we had CS6. Switching to the cloud version was a mistake.

Again, the Adobe cloud is completely unrelated to the slowness you are alleging. It's not how any of that works.

I also have a relatively fast computer (Intel Core I7 @ 3.40 Ghz, 16 GB RAM on Windows 10 Pro, and SSD storage). The load time for Photoshop on my computer is: ~ 15 seconds (but remember I'm using a SSD). But if it takes more than 45 seconds to load (with a conventional hard drive), either your computer isn't really that fast or you have other issues with your computer that are unrelated to the Adobe software.

If you wish to describe the problem in more detail, I am happy to try to help you. For instance, what the specifications for your computer, is Photoshop installed on a local and fast hard drive, what other programs do you use / that are fast to load (just wondering if you run equivalently large applications), are you running the 64 bit version of Photoshop, do you have the latest Photoshop updates (currently 2017.1.1 20170425.r.252 2017/04/25:23:00:00 CL 1113967)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines