• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to buy a "non cloud" version of Photoshop ?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a custumer of Photoshop since PS4 back in the nineties... I'm not interested in working in the cloud, nor online...

Is there any "normal" option to upgrade my CS6 version normally ?

I feel like being left over by Adobe...

No cool 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

CS6 was/ is the last standalone version. From here on, new versions will only be available as subscription.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 141 Replies 141
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run CS5.5 Suite and have just purchased a Nikon D810.  I'm happy with the way PS & Camera Raw run and don't see me upgrading to a monthly fee.  I'm not able to run CR with 810 NEF files.  Very poor show Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download and run Adobe DNG Converter for free.

This will convert your camera RAw files to DNG files.

Any version of Photoshop will open the DNG file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what you are saying is, the consumer may be perfectly happy with the system he already has and it is fine but the industry is forcing him to dump it in the land fill and get a new computer regularly, and new software regularly and pay on a monthly basis and accept changes to (and relearn) his programs whenever the industry dictates.

This is not customer driven.  It is like a landlord tenant situation where the landlord can rearrange the tenants home and the tenant can't move to a new home and keep using his old couch and bed.

I have several old programs I like to use from time to time.  I don't use them every day, week, month or even several months.  I rarely have access to internet as we are lucky to get a satellite connection or cell phone connection where I usually work and live.  I can be very efficient as long as I don't have to connect to a non existent "cloud"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I have no interest in creative cloud and It makes me very angry when people try to force you into things without your consent.

Lose customers is what will be happening. Not all of us are mindless and like to be force fed. The most important thing is freedom and freedom of choice it should remain that way. When publishers try to control people by forcing them to use a system there will be rebellion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(...) I have no interest in creative cloud and It makes me very angry when people try to force you into things without your consent. (...)

No one is forcing you to buy a new version or or buy this software at all. However, all software or hardware will be obsolete after a while, goes with operating systems, computer hardware etc.

If you want to use older version, go ahead, I don't see what that has to do with the cloud services they offer. Because it has absolutely nothing to do with using Adobe products off line, you can do that without any issues at all.

(...) Lose customers is what will be happening. (...)

Not at all, people see allot of benefits with this also. One big one is that you can access your files, from everywhere you are in the world if you choose to upload them. Other vice you can simply store them locally, as you have done with older versions. I don't see the problem here?

(...) Not all of us are mindless and like to be force fed. (...)

Really? How? No one is forcing you to do this "their" way, what you have is an option to store in the "cloud" as well store locally...

But you are right about one thing though:

(...) The most important thing is freedom and freedom of choice it should remain that way. (...)

That is correct, and you have, see my answer over this one!
( Tip: Two options, store locally and in the "Cloud", great huh? )

(...) When publishers try to control people by forcing them to use a system there will be rebellion. (...)

Don't believe the hype, I hope what I have tried to inform you, is in fact you got a 2nd option, to store in the cloud, if you wish too.

BTW, do you have any apps, software etc were you store files, photos, videos etc in the cloud?

I bet you have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does, because there are no Camera Raw updates to support new model cameras like the D810 in CR8.7.  You have to use the cloud to use NEF files!!   NOT GOOD ENOUGH ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where would i find that ??? maybe it's a bit late now, 2 year later !  if you know any way to get it "offline", please let me know

(elizabeth@3kiwis.co.nz)

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the way of everything in this new era. This is a minor issue were the choice is still available to us buy or don't buy and I'm not going to go into who benefits from this model. There is still plenty of software out there that will cover my photoshop needs nicely without having to enter into a lease with Adobe. I am just sorry for all those companies that depend on graphics and their byproducts that will be forced to bite the bullet. For the record, I never leased a car either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jncuban, you are so right.

This is the saddest thing that ever happened to Adobe products, right behind frantic updates with useless new features and long standing bugs never addressed.

People keep moaning about paying more. Of course you will pay more in the long run. Subscription-based or not, that's the way corporations work: making more money coming in, always MORE, never LESS. I don't have a problem with that.

Now what shocks me, is why people actually, genuinely don't care about their privacy. The one big difference I see with subscription-based programs is, you GIVE Adobe your personal data. What software you have installed on your computer, since when, probably how often you use which, -- God knows what other data they can get from your installs using your presence on the internet. This is normally very tricky data to obtain, because IT'S PERSONAL. Users should BE PAID FOR THE DATA THEY GIVE OUT. Yet everybody lets this information go to whoever wants it for FREE. This is sad, and seemingly harmless, but it's actually very, very sad. And you don't have a choice anymore here with Adobe.

The very same goes for almost everything today. For instance, Disney have made a wristband called the Magic Band [!!!], which you are to wear during your whole 'experience' in their theme parks. Using the band you can pay for your sundae and rides wirelessly. Wow. So cool. But the real purpose of it is, they actually TRACK you. Which ride you go to, when, how many times, what and when do you eat or drink, where do you physically go (GPS), when, how often... And you just GIVE THEM THIS PERSONAL INFORMATION. They should PAY for it. But to them you're not an individual, you're a product. You're an entity through which money flows -- and it better flow the right direction.

This is really broken, and I hope, I really hope we're going to back up from this sad lease-life, human-products world.

I wish I could turn away from Adobe, but, as a professional graphic designer, what are my alternatives? None.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seriously considering leaving Adobe. I've been on the subscription model for a few years now. Been using Photoshop since version 5, flash and Dreamweaver before they were with Adobe. The current subsription only model It is not cost effective and I find I would be better off purchasing, upgrading as needed and when able to as directed by the current market. Customer service with Adobe is terrible, I find they don't listen to their customers, most times you dealing with a call center in India. The online model is not working. I'm looking for an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... I'm really giving up. I don't like the idea of software renting. Farewell Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may buy CS6 at Creative Suite 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am trying to get the monthly package but it says it is not offered in my country, is there a way around this problem. I reside in Nigeria, is it possible to get the package when am in a state that they offer it then still use it when am back to my country.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only issue I have is that I don't use it very often.  I can't see subscribing for something I might use once every 6 months.  Does anyone know if you can choose a month to month option?  That is, if I use in June can I cancel in July? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still Photoshop Elements for us occasional users. I had the same shock when I went to Adobe to upgrade PSE9 from 5 years ago and saw the cheapest CC subscription is £103 per year. Luckily PSE13 will do for my purposes at £63, no subscription. (Though probably worth waiting a couple of months for PSE14.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly my problem too. I use it maybe one a year or so.  Can you do a subscription and then cancel, only when I need it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is silly!  Adobes way of getting more money out of people.  Why sell a product when you can take money from them every month and they can end up paying for it 6 times over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless they turn there act, I'm changing products

-Too hard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off to ebay to purchase a copy of non-cloud-based Creative Suite. I did the math. I'm not a one-app user. It will pay for itself before I would have upgraded.

Although everyone is moving to subscription-based software, at least the others offer alternatives.

You do realize this economic model has no built-in motivation for Adobe to innovate or create new features. They no longer have to worry about you wanting to upgrade. They've got your money either way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌That's evidentially not true, since introducing the subscription model, which for professionals is not that much money each month (similar to a smart phone subscription), Adobe have continued to develop and introduce products for the Creative Suite. For example some exciting innovations in InDesign such as "Publish Online", and new free applications such Adobe Muse and Edge Animate.

For those who don't want to use the products continuously, they can suspend their monthly payments until they need to use the products again. And of course. you can use the final outputs the applications, produce such as JPGs and PDFs, without the applications that created them.

For amateurs, presumably like yourself, there's excellent applications like Photoshop Elements and Premier Elememrs 14 available for a one-off payment of around $70.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to slow down, breathe and get the gel screen cleaner out of your nostrils, friend. Perhaps get up from your computer, (mister +++ member - do you have a life?), take a walk, get in touch with humans once again. I find it stunning that you would call me an amateur. I would bet my next paycheck I know more about these apps than you'll ever hope to. Why? Because I do, and have for years, spent my time using them while you apparently spend yours in these forums. You could also have spared your lecture about the product options. I know them all. If you had read carefully, you would have noticed that I didn't give any indication that I was unaware of them. But instead, something in my post promted you to lash out while hiding behind your keyboard, in a most mean-spirited way.

My post was about basic economic principles.

101, if you please. The impetus has been removed for them to improve their product. That, in itself doesn't mean they will not or have not. But it absolutely does mean the financial reward for innovation is greatly decreased if not elimintated entirely.  This is perhaps one of the most well-documented and oft-repeated tenets of humankind. History speaks volumes about this concept, and it isn't a pattern or trend that is beneficial to you nor I as users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thank you for your interesting reply. Sorry to have upset you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the only option is sue the Adobe for extortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with that. It is not illegal to sell by subscription. It is the way everything is going. Even Microsoft Office .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will see:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines