• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to make an image conform to a frame?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am printing many images every day and they are all size specific. In the past I would place my image and snap it to four guides I had set previously. However, I decided to upgrade to Photoshop cc to try the frames tool to save some time.

My problem is that whenever I place my image into the frame, it maintains the aspect ratio of the image and will not fill out the frame corner to corner, so some of the image is obscurednehind the frame. The frame is acting like a mat, when I really need the image to fill the frame from corner to corner, as it is much faster than placing each image individually and snapping it to preset guides.

Is there a way to make this work? I got this idea initially from Canva, which has a tool that is drag and drop and fills outa frame nicely, only I dislike Canva and have years of experience working within Photoshop. 

Any help[ is much appreciated. 

Thanks,

George

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@George34545035l11g 

Is your intention to distort the image or to maintain the aspect ratio?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e 

My intention is to have the image fill out the frame edge to edge, even if that means distorting the image to do so. 

Thanks,

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use Edit > Free Transform (Ctrl+T), the default is to keep proportional when scaling. In between the Width and Height controls is a Link icon. When it's down, the W and H controls work together. Tap it once to disable it and you can distort your image.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I must not have been clear. When I drop an image into a frame, I would like the image to automatically fill out the frame with no further adjustment. I am familiar with free transform, in my initial post I mentioned that in my previous version of photoshop my solution to this problem was to place an image into photoshop and (using the free transform tool) snap each corner to a set of guides I had placed prior. It's just a pain to have to do this every single time I bring in a new image, and I am bringing in new images often, sometimes several hundred per day. I was hoping the frame tool would allow me to just drop in the image and have it conform to the exact size of the frame. but unfortunately it seems the Frame Tool lacks this ability. 

Thanks,

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't think there's a facility to distort the image to fill the frame, but You could size the images before hand. Image Processor does not appear to be able to change the aspect ratio, but it could probably be done with a script.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that Photoshop has a way to fit the image to the frame the way you'd like. You can submit a feature request to Adobe.

In the meantime, would it work for you to create an Action that converts all of your images to the height and width of the frame -- then, after all the images are resized and stored in a folder, place them into the frame?

Image > Image Size command can disproportionally resize an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I expect the transformation could be Scripted. 

Please provide sample-files (original file, file to be dropped, intended result in the original file) or at least screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to clarify the situation. 

Would you be open to use a file-selection dialog instead of dropping them manually? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible way to do this is to follow these steps:

Assign a pixel replacement variable to a layer that has the pixels you want to use as a frame.

• Go to Image > Variables > Pixel Replacement > Method Conform.
  • Use the manual method to load or place an image on that layer.

Creating data-driven graphics in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines