• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to open a PDF/AI vector file in photoshop without distortion?

Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing a script to open Illustrator files in Photoshop but I seem to be encountering a bit of an issue with scaling. If I open an AI file that is equal to/exceeds the 32000px maximum width Photoshop allows, it distorts vertically as the height doesn't exceed the 32000px bounds. If the file is simply opened with photoshop, and a dimension exceeds 32000px, the file will cap out at the width, but still constrain proportions so that the height doesn't distort. I'm looking at the scripting reference for PDFOpenOptions, and it mentions that height, width and constrainProportions settings are all deprecated as of CC 2015. Is there a way to continue to constrain the proportions within scripting properties? If not, it should be some fairly easy math to open a file twice, once at a small dimension to find out what the proportions are, and test against the width or height if one equals 32000px.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support all Image file types.  If you look at Photoshop supported files formats you will not see vector files formats like .SVG and .AI as supported.  You can  place these files in Photoshop and they will be added as vector smart objects.  However there will be no way for Photoshop to access any vector path in those files.  Also if you open these files in Photoshop they will open as a single pixel layer there will be no vectors at all in Photoshop.

PDF file format is supported by Photoshop they doe not always open as a single document in Photoshop.  There are open options PDF files do not always open as a single Photoshop document.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! For this script I don't need a layered version of the AI file, since AI is PDF, the PDFOpenOptions otherwise works pretty well, minus the distortion. Unfortunately opening as a smart object causes the same distortion I've been experiencing with a simple open when the dimensions are over 32000px. However, if I open the file at a 1 dpi, and res up to the size I want it does maintain proportions. One obstacle now however, is that the while loop I have it in continues to open the last page over and over again when smart objects are enabled, so I will need to figure out a way to count the max amount of pages prior to this loop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines