• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to turn negative values 32 bit image into normalized 0-1 one in Photoshop?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatically  I mean , and then make a script that do it by single  click.    My guess i could do it with a use of flat fill effect adding some positive value  then levels maybe.     But I'd like a quick universal solution  whatever  values are in  original image.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

I just checked and you can remap -x to +x to a normalised 0 to 1, either by channel or overall, very simply in Adobe 3D Designer using levels nodes.

'By channel' shown below with the levels settings for the blue channel shown.

2022-07-13_11-33-59.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To remap the 32 bit values values from negative to all positive between 0 and 1 , you can use a colour fill layer set to Linear Dodge (Add) to bring all values positive then a second set to Divide to restrict the positive range. There is no automatic adjustment for that.

As an aside, comparing Photoshop to Nuke is a bit 'apples and pears', as they were designed for differing purposes and while the full version of Photoshop costs £9.99 /month, Nuke starts at £399/year for the cut down Indie version.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Divide  to what, could you elaborate that part please?      

yeah, Nuke is cool but too expensive . It's exactly a reason I try to use Phootoshop. After all I need just to composite a single frame , a static image  and Photoshop became quite flexible with all its groups clipping  , linked smart objects  and scripts . So perhaps it can do  something more advanced too  beyond just photo tweaks .     I also love its simple ICC color managment vs all that ACES pain in your ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The divide blend mode will divide the pixel values on the lower layer by those on the top. So if you set all  the pixels on the upper layer to the maximum value on the lower layer then the result will be normalised 0 to 1.

What size is the image i.e. pixel dimensions? Processing it via Adobe Substance Designer's pixel processor may be a better way as you could then build a control function to do what you want to each pixel.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked and you can remap -x to +x to a normalised 0 to 1, either by channel or overall, very simply in Adobe 3D Designer using levels nodes.

'By channel' shown below with the levels settings for the blue channel shown.

2022-07-13_11-33-59.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, It's what I have to do currently, wasting time after each new test render in Blender.     I just hoped I could do it in Photoshop directly somehow  with an action/ script  or something  on imported multi-layered exr file  with cryptomatter masks  using super cool exr -IO plugin. 

Would Substance Designer   read  cryptomatte masks  and multi  layerd exr files I probably wouldn't look back to Photoshop at all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines