• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Japanese Brush Strokes?

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2009 Jan 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to use a brush to create Japanese style brush strokes - like Japanese calligraphy as exemplified in the link below.

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=japanesecalms6.jpg

Can I create a brush from scratch to do this? If so, can I get an assist on some settings? I've played around for about an hour but I keep varying too many things.

Thoughts?

Peace,
Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Photoshop comes with a set of calligraphic brushes. Have you looked at those? I don't have a pressure tablet,so I'm not sure if they are close to what you need.

They are also better known as Chinese calligraphy brushes and there must be some excellent ones out there for PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TONY!!! happy new year mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gener, thanks. I looked and looked - pain in the butt. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Dave, thank you ma man. What a long strange trip it's been....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,Tony...if I find anything I'll drop it by. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can seem to find is pre-drawn strokes. What I need is a setting, I think, that gives the appearance of a wet stroke and tails off, with possibly some scattering.

Take a look at this:

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aikidostrokezk4.jpg

That's what I'm trying to do with a brush - to paint in that fashion.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,I've looked at the picture you uploaded.

Hmmm... maybe Photoshop's wet media brush set can give you something to work with. There's a #54 Rough Dry brush there that can give the effect,but you may have to go over the parts you want wet. If it's a few Chinese characters,then it shouldn't be too much work.

An alternate would be to use a wet brush,then apply the "dry brush" to the eraser tool for effect.

Yeah,there should be a brush that can mimic a sumi-e brush,but I haven't found it.

[Edit] If you have access to Corel Painter IX,it has a sumi-e set of brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Painter, yes, if you already have it, can devote the time to get it sussed, and can make it do what you want.

More funner and more cheaper: Real ink. Real brushes. Real vellum. Scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy new year, Tony!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Brush Presets (in CS3), directly under Size Jitter is a drop down menu that defaults to Pen Pressure. Change that to Fade and play with the percentage and I believe the brush will trail off like you want.

That's one part of wht you wanted, anyway. I'll look for more of it.

Edit to add: Maybe some setting of Wet Edges in the same menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Oldbob states......

Try this:

Choose a natural brush ( with bristles etc )

Shape Dynamics:

Size jitter: 0%
Ctrl: Pen Tilt

Min dia: 0

Tilt scale: 200%

Angle jitter: 0
Ctrl: off

Roundness jitter:0%
Ctrl: off

Flip x and Y jitter unchecked

Other Dynamics:

Opacity jitter: 0%
Ctrl: Pen Pressure

Flow jitter: 0%
Ctrl: Fade @ 1000

You may need to tweak but that should be a start for you.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't add to the brush tips but I can to the New Year wishes.

Have a good one! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well first of all, thanks to old friends for the well wishes in this new year. Maybe this year will be better than the last (Counting Crows).

The tips posted regarding the brush settings helped quite a bit. I found that if I created a circular path and stroked that path with a brush, I was able to vary parameters and judge their effect in a more consistent manner. That was a big help.

While I'm still not 100% happy with my results so far, it DID lead me to thoughts on creating a new brush shape that, in concert with the Flow control may help me achieve the desired effect.

So thanks a ton - I can always rely on this forum to be of absolute top notch help.

Peace,
Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has some pretty good brushes that mimic what you're looking for, if you want to take that route...

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=113bEHJYGNcP1cExo3MjgTNwLDB90

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Very nice suggestion Rob. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines