• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jpeg-psd

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a raw file and edit it, I always saved it as a jpeg. Since my Catalina update I do exactly the same but my files are saved as a psd file. When I try to open them again, I get a warning that it's not a valid photshop document and the picture can't be opened. How do I fix this???

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you do not have the extensions showing when you saved or if you rename - be careful - Catalina selects the entire file name including extension.

Try changing one of the files to a .jpg extension manually and see if it opens ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop are you using? This sounds like a problem that is listed in an article Adobe posted for Photoshop. The notes say this type of problem was fixed in Photoshop 20.0.7 (if you're running Photoshop CC 2019) or Photoshop 21 (Photoshop 2020). See the link below for more information:

Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15): File naming options don't work correctly in the Save As dialog

“In Photoshop 20.0.6, changing the file format does not change the extension of the file in the name field.

Solution

Update to Photoshop 21.x or Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.”

After that quoted section, the article goes on to discuss errors such as “Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document” so it's worth reading the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open a RAW file in Photoshop you are creating a new Photoshop Document which has no backing images file on your disk that Photoshop can Overwrite.   Photoshop can not save Camera RAW files. Photoshop is not a file editor it is a an Image document editor.  So "Save" is not a valid option when you open a RAW file into a Photoshop document for there  is no backing image file on disk for the document in Photoshop. Photoshop can save image files from Photoshop documents.  If you try to use save photoshop may switch to using "Save As" for you.  If the document has more than one layer at this time Photoshop  may default the file type to PSD if the document has as single layer Photoshop may default the file type the file type you last saved in Photoshop. Anyway the first time you save a RAW conversion into an Image file  save as must be used and the output Path must be set for Photoshop does not know where you want the file saved. Photoshop may offer defaults for the path, document name, and file type to help you out.  However, your free to change the path, file name, and file type in the save as dialog Photoshop puts you in when you save an image file.  Adobe Camera Raw plug-in may have added Raw conversion settings to your Camera Raw File as meta-data. However, your Camera's sensor RAW Data not changed. You still have your exposure you can reprocess.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Based on your explanation, if you make edits that involve layers, Ps is going to default to the PSD file to maintain layer integrity.

You can save a copy of the file by clicking the format dropdown and picking jpeg from there.

wrt the error you are getting, ensure that the file extension is not being changed by you perhaps typing one in manually.

This resource may also help you resolve that issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-recovery-photoshop.html

Goog luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines