• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG Save As Copy Issue

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 24.0.1 on Windows 10.  After this update installed, the actions I had for saving JPEG files didn't work.  Found out I had to enable legacy "save as" in order to get back the JPEG option. I did this, however, now all my files save with the word "copy" at the end.  I went back into preferences and checked the "do not append copy to filename when saving" option. This did nothing to help the situation.  When I try to save a file as a JPEG the "save file as copy" box is checked and greyed out so that you can not unchecked it.  This is extrememly frustrating as in a given day I may save upwards of 40 images as jpegs.  Having to go into each file and rename is a nightmare of inefficency!  I am not even saving over my existing file as I archive my images as tiff files.  The jpegs are used for proof images to my clients.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @badgerfann did you restart Photoshop after making the preference changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and I restarted my computer as well.

Sent from Outlook<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do that the way I do it: an action that first makes any file comply with the jpeg file format specifiation - which makes jpeg come up in Save As, no copy - and then saves to an outbox on my desktop. 

These files are always for outbound shipping anyway, so I don't need them to go to the regular folder tree.

Assign an F key to the action, and then you can just "stamp" them out. Or run batches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating an action does not help and it still saves with the word "copy" on the end. In fact, this is how I noticed this issue in the first place. My action stalled out and a box I've never seen before came up on my screen. It was because the JPEG files were hidden under "legacy" files.

Sent from Outlook<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing my point:

If the file already satisfies the jpeg file format specification, jpeg appears under Save. There is no need for legacy save, and it will not be a copy. There will be no "-copy" at the end of the name.

The last steps in the action are then flatten, convert to 8 bit, and remove alpha channels. Then Save As and close the original.

These actions were not affected by the recent change in save behavior, they just kept on working. Here's how they end:

action.png

This is the "alpha" script, in its entirety:

activeDocument.channels.removeAll();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@badgerfann @Did you re-record your action after you changed the settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No.  I uninstalled and went back to a 2022 version of the program. That solved all my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines