Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG shows as RGB despite being made in CMYK mode

New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm preparing some artwork for print, and selected CMYK when I started the document in Ps. 

When I save my artwork as a JPEG, and inspect the file in Finder (Get info) to double check it says 'Colour space - RGB' and 'colour profile - sRGB'.

Should I disregard this, or is the file not actually in CMYK ?

I checked the Document mode is CMYK and I checked the channels panel. I'm very confused. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Export As is not the same thing as Save As (Save a Copy).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're going to a specific and defined printing condition, NEVER start or work in CMYK. 

You probably exported the CMYK doc which converted it to sRGB. But you don't want to be dealing with CMYK in the first place. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep this notification set to show "document profile". It's infinitely more useful than whatever it shows by default. I'd feel blindfolded without this:

notification_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As is not the same thing as Save As (Save a Copy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

How exactly did you create the jpg (Save As, Export, …)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want it to stay in CMYK (if you're printing), then instead of export, click Save a Copy and then select JPEG as the file type. If you do Export, it will always change it to RGB for some reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do Export, it will always change it to RGB for some reason. 

By @Marko34383513pwue

The reason is that Export As is for screens and devices, similar to the Export > Save for Web (Legacy) feature, by design it removes metadata and converts to RGB to produce optimised data for displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines