Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG with outline path to transparent PNG files conversion

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone!

I’ve been handed what could be a HUGE project if I can’t find a solution to make this easier. I’ve got hundreds, if not, thousands of JPEG files that have been outlined with a path, and our web guys are moving to a new B2B platform that requires transparent PNG files rather than JPEG files for our product images. Does anyone have a quick easy solution, maybe an app, that can convert a folder of pathed outlined JPEG files into transparent PNG files? I can painfully do this one file at a time in Photoshop but it will take WAY too long to do this. 

Before we go any further, I’m on an Intel-based iMac running macOS 12.4 Monterey.

I’ve scoured the web for a Mac-based app for the conversion and so far, all I’ve downloaded will not save a transparent PNG from a pathed outlined JPEG. I guess I could write an Action and use the Batch tool to do this but that’s far from perfect in my experience, especially what I need to do here. Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

This sounds like a good idea for a new script so I took a stab at it the morning. I've taken components from my other scripts and combined the parts into a solution specific to this need. I call it "Batch Web Images." It's fresh out the oven, conceived only hours ago, so bear with me if I missed something and it throws an error because of something I didn't anticipate. Gotta start somewhere, and this is it. I'll watch responses and fix anything that comes up. Also I am thinking maybe add the opt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Thank you for your generous contribution. Users like you are why I keep writing scripts.

About your request, you can disable the option "Rename for web". That's what is changing names to lowercase, along with replacing URL encoded characters to dashes (spaces for example). But if you want the the URL encoding option but leave letter case alone, I'll be happpy to add a sub-option for the letter case that you can disable. Again, thank you so much. I really appreciate the support. It's how I make a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

I made a few more tweaks. I realized the code I used for saving JPG is better suited for print work (I come from the print biz) and uses baseline. I updated the script to use progressive, 3 scans. Better for web images. Also @wayne_carey how about marking my answer as the solution? It is, I hope. It helps my reputation here <smile>

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/photoshop/batch-web-images

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Image Processor Pro to do exactly this for the past 15 years. Before dismissing the great advice you received here, you should have at least tried to use the tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines