• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Justify text

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click Windows>Paragraph, all Justify icons on the Paragraph dialolog are greyed out. YouTube videos show the icons as active, so I can't justify text. I have selected the text in the layer, selected just the layer, selected only some text within the layer, clicked all the icons visible in the image, and messed with the fields that show the pixels, and nothing makes the Justify icons live. Please help. Thanks

MAUREEN5E60_1-1674398416042.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Draw out your text box as below to create paragraph text then type your text.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/add-edit-text.html

textpar.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. The little icon at the top gives me the option to select Justify to display a dialog, but when I click OK, nothing happens.

MAUREEN5E60_0-1674398809827.png

MAUREEN5E60_1-1674398845731.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MAUREEN5E60 wrote:

PS. The little icon at the top gives me the option to select Justify to display a dialog, but when I click OK, nothing happens.

It doesn't say "Justify", it says "Justification" and is not what you are looking for in your case. If you want to see something happen, you need to change the acceptable spacing limits, then click OK.

You can also change the Auto Leading from the default of 120% to 110% or 130%, for example, but Auto Leading is not a best practice anyway and most people avoid it.

Scroll down in this excerpt from Nigel French's book from Adobe Press to the section on Justification:

https://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2192705

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have enabled text wrap options? If it's enabled disabled it maybe it will work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, and "wrap text" doesn't seem to come up when I click Help. How do I enable it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't have InDesign though. Just Photoshop. I think it's a bug in the latest version, because I've done it before in older versions. I'm now just looking for someone with an older version I can email the file to, so they can do it for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your text Paragraph text?

In other words when you created the text did you draw

out a text box and type in that or just start typing in your document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected an area with the marquee tool, but didn't specifically designate it as a "text box." Again, I couldn't find "text box" in Help, but there were several plug-ins that mention text. Do I need a plug-in to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this is a bug in Version 24.1.0. It's not among the fixes in 24.1.1, and they don't list it as a "known" issue, but it smells like a bug. If anyone with 24.1.0 has successfully justified text, please let me know how you did it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw out your text box as below to create paragraph text then type your text.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/add-edit-text.html

textpar.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked. I must not have had T selected when I drew the marquee. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point text is created by clicking an insertion point, then typing. It does not wrap; you need to press Return. Clicking in it looks like this:

janee_0-1674408332445.png

Paragraph text is created by dragging with the Type tool, then typing. It creates a frame that can be resized.

janee_1-1674408511244.png

To convert from one to the other, use the Move tool, then go to Type menu > Convert to [Point/Paragraph] text.

janee_2-1674408619177.png

I suspect you used Point text and pressed Return to start new lines. You'll need to convert to Paragraph text, AND remove the returns.

Optionally, you can retype and create Paragraph text from the beginning as shown by Jeff.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did use returns. I think I'm good to go! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Maureen 🙂

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines