• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard Shortcuts Stop Working (Photoshop CC 2017)

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

History: It would appear as though this has been a bug since Photoshop CC 2014 & 2015.  With the release of Photoshop CC 2017, the bug is still present.

Problem: When working on an image, using the Magnifying Glass to select a zoom area (with Scrubby Zoom Unchecked) will lock up all keyboard shortcuts and any keystrokes will produce the Photoshop Beep (sound alert, ping, whatever you want to call it).

Similarly, the Control key (used when inverting layer masks, entering control + keystroke keyboard shortcuts, etc). will produce the same lockup.

All keyboard shortcuts cease to function and Photoshop will play the Alert noise with any keystroke.

Resetting Photoshop Preferences is ineffective at solving this problem.

Workaround: The only workaround I've found is to alt+tab to a new window and then return to Photoshop.  While this is an effective workaround, it can happen as often as every Magnifying Glass tool use and/or every Control key press.  The problem seems to become more frequent when the image file size increases - as layers stack up, as the page file grows, etc.  Using the "Purge All" menu command also provides a brief respite from the problem but it can be reproduced shortly thereafter - especially when working on a large (in terms of file-size) project.

Specs: Photoshop CC 2017 (with 80% memory allocated)

Windows 10 (16GB of RAM) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (with up-to-date drivers)

Wacom Intuos 4.0 Medium (driver version 6.3.15-3) (This problem persists with the most recent Wacom Tablet drivers as well)

TL;DR: Both the Magnifying Glass and Control Key will lock-up keyboard shortcuts and the only workaround is to alt+tab out of Photoshop and back in.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mikelarremore,

Please close Photoshop then click on the windows logo at the bottom left of your screen and type in msconfig & hit Enter. Then you will see a System Configuration window on your screen as shown below.

Msconfig.JPG

Navigate to the Services tab on top and Check Hide all Microsoft services.

After that choose disable all and click OK.

Then restart your Pc and try out Photoshop.

Please let us know if this works.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doing this disables my tablet functionality.  As such, I'm unable to test whether the bug is present in the context of my normal workflow.

Is there a more specific service I should look to disable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines