• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lasso tool has turned into a plus sign! Need the original lasso tool icon back.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lasso tool has turned into a plus sign! Need the original lasso tool icon back.

I've been using Photoshop for years and one of the most basic selection tools, the Lasso.  I've just opend a 10 year old psd image and both the regular Lasso and the Polygonal Lasso appear as a large plus sign.  If I press the caps key it changes back to the original Lasso icon but as soon as I take my finger off it goes back to being a plus sign.  It's almost unusable like this!  HELP. 

I'm using Adobe Photoshop CC 2021 and running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Computer too old up upgrade to more recent versions.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that happen with any other images on just that one psd?

If it's affecting all documents then i would suggest resetting the Lasso and Polygonal Tools by right clicking on the respective icon at the left side of the tool options bar and clicking Reset Tool.

rest.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, When I right click on the Lasso icon on the left side of the tool options bar it just shows me the 3 lasso tool options and doesn’t show me a Reset Tool. Is there any other way of accessing the Reset Tool? Thanks! Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I  have now seen your picture, found the resent tool, pressed it but it still stays as a cross-hair (aka large plus sign).  Any other ideas?  Thanks!  Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AnnaShoots go to Preferences/Cursors and turn off Precise under "Other Cursors".

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1682080911688.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I found Preferences - Cursors but Precise was not checked.  Just in case I checked it.  No good. Went back and unchecked it.  it still stays as a cross-hair (aka large plus sign).  Any other ideas?  Thanks!  Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I press the caps key it changes back to the original Lasso icon but as soon as I take my finger off it goes back to being a plus sign.

By @AnnaShoots

Are you holding down Caps Lock or tapping it to toggle it? Can you check to see if Caps Lock is turned on by typing somewhere? Try changing a layer name or something. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,  The caps lock is not on.  It only turns into the correct Lasso cursor when I have my finger on the caps key and don't move the cursor at all.  As soon as I more the cursor it changes back into the large plus sign (aka a cross-hair).  There are only 2 layers in this image - Background and Layer 1.  Don't think changing a layer name would help.  Any other ideas? Thanks!  Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AnnaShoots 

Hi Anna,

Changing a layer name is not permanent — it's a test to see if Caps Lock is on and is stuck. You shouldn't ever have to hold down Caps Lock, so that part seems like something is wrong with the key itself. Tap turns it on and tap turns it off. Holding it down should not ever be necessary, so my focus is on the key.

Is there another keyboard you can use for testing purposes?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, I just tested the caps lock key and it’s working perfectly. Renamed LAYER 1 in caps and then renamed it back in lower case Layer 1 with no problem. Thanks! Anna.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the top workspace bar next to the little house - there is the lasso tool - then next to that are 4 options - click the first one. This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me too. Thank you. What pain that was!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines