• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lasso Tool not subtracting selection

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the lasso tool to subtract from the selection via alt/option key, it results in deletion of the image rather than the designated part of the selection.  Using the shift key to add to the selection works fine.  I use this function all the time, not sure why suddenly it's behaving this way.  For the record, I did reset all my tools to default, but it didn't help.  Suggestions?  thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the lasso tool.  If it still fails try resetting all tools.  If it still fails try resetting your Photoshop preferences

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, I already tried to reset the tool and all tools.  I was hoping to avoid resetting preferences.  I hate having to rearrange everything back to my liking. I had hoped that I had a box ticked somewhere that I hadn't noticed. In the end, that did the trick.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like how everything is arranged, set it as a workspace before resetting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you transform your selection right before subtracting it? If so it is a bug that existed from very first Photoshop, Adobe doesn't want to admit it, or simply fix as it was always like it or because found just few years ago. I can't understand them: Photoshop: Selection modifications after transform | Photoshop Family Customer Community​, you can report it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Wildcat54, I will do that in the future.

Kukurykus, yes this is exactly what happened.  I made the selection with the lasso tool, transformed the item, then wanted to subtract a bit more from the selection to further transform, but instead it was subtracting the image, not the selection.  I've done this thousands of times over the years, but it was the first time I'd experienced this.  Will report it as you suggest.  I think there is a way to submit my old preferences too since I saved them before resetting them.  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may report it in the same topic I linked you to so that might have better impact that make them to reconsider this issue again to fix. That's odd though you say it worked for years for you as I tested it in CS6 EXTENDED and in CC2018 and it's still the same. What version you have now, and in which it worked, can you recall it? Maybe that worked is some CC meantime but was broken again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough, after I replied, this issue started again.  It is true, I never did have this happen before.  I am currently using CC2018.  It worked in every precious version I have used going back to the 1990s. So here I am back at square one with the tool NOT working properly again.

I am not sure how to report it.  I zipped the preference file as they request, but I can't see how to upload  it for their tech people to examine it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Private Messages option. Only one you can do is to describe problem in that theard and leave a link to for ex. Dropbox they can download it from, or ask them in that topic of their E-mail you'll send it to. It's how you share stuff there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cool. Thanks.  will do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines