• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer mask not removing everything outside of canvas.

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I have been using Photoshop for some years accross multiple devices but am currently frustrated due to my layer masks not removing everything outside the canvas. I attached some images before showing how the rest of the image appears when the layer mask is resized. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Dominick24249582f2d0_3-1651221542360.png

Dominick24249582f2d0_4-1651221572765.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you crop the image before making a selection and applying the Layer Mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not crop it before masking the selection, only expanded it to my desired size 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem lies in how you started the Layer Mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Dominick24249582f2d0 wrote:

I did not crop it before masking the selection, only expanded it to my desired size 

Photoshop does not have a command called "Expand" for images — only for increasing the selection marquee.

How did you expand the image to include more pixels? The only ways that I can think of is to crop keeping the deleted pixels, then uncrop or to bring in a new copy of the image.

In any event, the mask was made before you "expanded" and will not automatically expand to include the full image. When you create the mask you need to start with the image you want to mask. In this case, start with the "expanded" image when you create the mask.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dominick24249582f2d0 

Look at the Layers panel in both of your images. 

• In the first image, you have a cropped picture with the mask
  • In the second image, the cropped picture is on a hidden layer and the mask that was created is being used on a different image.

6D02338F-F1A2-4482-963F-C7449543E2BB.jpeg

CE349CD5-C67D-4D08-A57C-8E14ED692952.jpeg

If you want to use the cropped image, drag the mask back to that layer and unhide it. If you want to have a mask on the larger picture, select it and create a new mask.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t start with »Reveal All«-Layer Masks, but with »Hide All«- or »Reveal Selection«-ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply the layer mask before cropping or fill the missed area of the mask with black.

warmly,j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines