• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting Effects not working in Photoshop CC2023

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with Rendering Light Effects in CC 2023. I hardly ever use this function but have a need currently. I've read the previous comments in the forum regarding this problem and I've followed the instructions to correct the problem. The remedies did not work for me. I finally had to resort to CS 6 for help.

Does anyone know how to get the Lighting Effects to work properly in CC 2023? I checked and my video processor is good for the application. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Unfortunately, Adobe is in the process of removing 3D and anything like Lighting Effects that uses the 3D engine

If going to Edit>Preferences>Technology Previews, checking Deactivate Native Canvas and restarting photoshop doesn't work, then you'll most likely never get it to work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Adobe is in the process of removing 3D and anything like Lighting Effects that uses the 3D engine

If going to Edit>Preferences>Technology Previews, checking Deactivate Native Canvas and restarting photoshop doesn't work, then you'll most likely never get it to work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff. I suspected that might be the case. If you or anyone in the Support Community has a recommendation for a FREE 3D light rendering software I would be very appreciative. I don't have a regular need for 3D, however as I explained previously I have a current project that requires adding "uplights" to an exterior photo of a building at night. If I could use 3D rendering often enough I would consider purchasing software, however for use once in 5 years I can't justify the purchase. I do have Photoshop CS 6 which still works in rendering lighting effects. I guess that will have to do. (I am grateful that I have that option available currently.) Thanks for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still have v22 installed then Lighting Effects should work in that version

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inadvertently deleted 2022 when I upgraded to 2023. Do you know if it's
possible to reinstall 2022?

Thanks.
Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don,  I believe if you go to your CC interface (where all your apps, etc. are listed) and go to Ps and the dots menu adjacent to it, you should be able to pick from a list of prior versions and install the one you want. As you know, you can have more than one version installed - so if you like the current release for certain features and need the Ps 2022.2 (Feb. 2021) rel. for stable 3D features - that should be a way to re-download the earlier version.

Just be aware! Once you do that, b/c the Adobe code (or something) isn't written properly, once you do that you won't be able to right click on a .jpg image and use "Open with.." to be able to open a .jpg into your current release of Ps. All that will show up (I told you it's bad coding) is the most recent version of Ps you've downloaded - in this example it would be Ps 2022.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lighting effects worked yesterday, not today. I have tried all the suggestions and nothing is working. Really need this feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Adobe is losing its edge by trying to make another 3d project. Other services are much cheaper and offering more services....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BeccaC25  Adobe's Substance 3D apps have been around a long time as the very well respected Allegorithmic applications

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BeccaC25  They acquired the company that they now use for 3D and have product line-named "Substance". That Substance product line is treated as a separate entity from our CC subscriptions (just like Adobe Stock); with its own, incremental paid subscription.

I'm interested. Who do you consider a competitor to Adobe's Subtance products that is cheaper? I'd really like to check them out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option may be Boris FX Optics. Seen some impressive videos on the plugin. However, cost ~$8 per month. Unless you frequently need to add lighting . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Optics no longer have a one off full purchase option?  I paid US$111.75 fro it.

Colin Smith has a video on using the new Gradiant tool to simulate Lighting Effects.  It actuall does a better job as IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOooking at their website $99 USD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An interesting technique that I have used myself (in another image editor). A bit awkward to see the destructive editing, though. It's a shame there is no method to isolate the red channel non-destructively in Photoshop and/or reuse layer masks non-destructively (instancing of layer masks such as in After Effects). Or assign adjustment layers to layer masks only (without clipping mask work-arounds). Or combine multiple layer masks non-destructively.

Photoshop is showing its age. Its core hasn't received any changes for ages now. Would be nice if the development team would address those shortcomings.

*edit* at least the gradient tool finally got an update. I've been using gradients like that for over 15 years now since I switched away from Photoshop to an alternative for my own personal work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines