Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line Tool Aid Not Showing

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I just switched over from Photoshop CS6 to CC. (yeah I know )

Anyhow, when I use the line tool, I normally have a preview outline showing me where the pixels/shape will be placed when I release my cursor. It's kin of like the line you see with the pen tool before you commit to placing the second anchor point.

But since I've started using CC, I am not getting that preview anymore and it's hard to judge where my line is actually going.

I have looked through a few settings, but did not find much. I appreciate you help!

- Fletcher

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd. The Line Tool is functioning like it always has for me; it's definitely generating a preview before I complete my line. (I'm on Windows 10 Build 1903 using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card with the latest drivers, though, so I don't know if that helps.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that info.

I've been running on Windows 7 for years and the Line tool has worked for me until just now.

I am on version 20.0.4 of Photoshop CC with the AMD FirePro V5900 (FireGL V) Graphics Card. I have plenty of RAM, although that shouldn't be the issue either. I can't see the Line Tool using much memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see a Preview in Shape|Path|Pixel Line tool mode using Windows 10 1809 and CC 2019 20.0.5

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fletcher,

That does not sound like a typical experience, let's make it right.

Could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop and the operating system you're working with?

Also, could you try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know how it goes?

Some screenshots would be really helpful to troubleshoot further.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Legacy compositng with no results. By the way, once I release my cursor, the line does appear, it's just not showing the preview. It is showing the angle and length information in that popup window though. (I don't think I can screenshot while I'm using the Line Tool).

So here is some info about my setup. I know Photoshop just came out with 20.0.5, but that should not be the issue.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 20190227.r.76 2019/02/27: 1205725  x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 7 SP1 6.1.7601.24499

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:13, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3591 MHz

Built-in memory: 32694 MB

Free memory: 17964 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 29939 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Alias Layers: Disabled.

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

glgpu[0].GLMemoryMB=2048

glgpu[0].GLName="AMD FirePro V5900 (FireGL V) Graphics Adapter"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a Windows 7 problem Seems to work correctly in Windows 10 cc 2019 20.0.5, Is your Display Driver up to date.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is what you meant. That 'Generic PnP Monitor' is my Wacom Cintiq 21UX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen grab of the Options Bar with the Gear symbol expanded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds out of sorts but try this to confirm a suspicion:

Select the lasso tool and try drawing a loop. Do you see a preview of what you are selecting before you release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not see the lasso preview - it could all be tied to this known issue:

Lasso Tool Lines not showing as I'm selecting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you suggested, and I can see the preview with the lasso tool as well as the marquee tool. This issue doesn't seem to affect any of my other tools so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the tool without the Cintiq connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of posts on here about bugs between Wacom and Photoshop including Cintiqs.

I would suggest you make sure all your Windows drivers are up to date first.

If you think you are up to date, please send over the version number of Windows OS, Photoshop, the Wacom and display drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows OS: Windows 7 Professional (I checked for updates recently and updated everything a week ago)

Photoshop: 20.0.4 2019/02/27

Wacom: 6.3.35-3 (Up to date)

Display Driver: 6.1.7600.16385

I know there is an update for Photoshop and I will update it tomorrow, but I don't think that should be the issue because my line tool worked properly on the 20.0.4 version until recently.

Also, I installed a Photoshop plugin called Lazy Nezumi a week and a half ago. Maybe that could be an issue? I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try uninstalling that plugin first as it directly relates to pen smoothing and could definitely be causing a conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled Lazy Nezumi, restarted my computer, and opened Photoshop. No such luck, My line preview will not show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An also, I just opened up cs6 on my screen and the preview works fine. So I don't think it's a display of graphics card problem. I think it's Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines