LocalFree missing from d3d12.dll

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm trying to install Photoshop on Windows 8.1, So far, I think I've gotten pretty close to my goal, however, I've reached a roadblock. That being, d3d12.dll. The first problem I had with it was it saying that __cxxframehandler4 was missing, though I somewhat quickly found out I had to switch the 4 to a 3, and then, upon attempting to launch photoshop, the dreaded word of LocalFree came up, and I have absolutely no clue about how I'm supposed to get past that. both times, the thing it was searching for was already in the file, specifically at line 587. Would there be any way to get past this roadblock?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you installing a version actually intended for Windows 8.1?

(not some random photoshop version that can be downloaded from questionable sites)

As far as i know, Photoshop CC 2018 (version 19.x) is the newest version officially supported for Windows 8.1.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am not installing a Photoshop version for Windows 8.1, currently I am installing Photoshop 2022.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022 more than likely will never work on windows 8.1, because of windows features and code that photoshop 2022 uses that is in windows 10 and 11, but is not in windows 8.

If you want photoshop 2022 why not install windows 10, where photoshop 2022 will run with no problems.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to install windows 10 on my computer because I'm afraid it's going to wipe my hard drive.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022 will not run on Windows 8. Either contact Adobe Support for a previous version download link or you can try to download 2018 directly here:

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2018-direct-download-links.html

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Expert/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can expect to need to restore your hard drive from your backups. Make sure you've tested the restore.  If you aren't willing to meet Adobe's system requirements, you need to find a different photo editor. No, we can't recommend any!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can uninstall the current incomplete install using the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool.

Then install 2018.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Expert/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines