• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Where did my basic custom shapes go

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version of Photoshop CC 2019.  I select custom shape (I want to create a talk bubble) but my basic shapes seem to be gone.  All I get is Tree Leaves, Wild Animals, Boats and Flowers...what gives? I tried to reset default shapes and it just gave me the same choices.

ShapeTool.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Hi

Open the Shapes panel (Window >Shapes). Click at the top right of the panel and in the drop down menu choose "Legacy Shapes and More"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Click on Window in the main menubar, then select "Shapes." In the flyout menu, select "Legacy shapes and more." Find the folder where the shapes that you want are in, and select them from there.

shapes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot1.jpg

Like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kathy K. 

Go to the panel menu in the Shapes panel (Window menu) and click "Legacy Shapes and More" (marked) to add them. They will now appear in the options bar as well as in this panel, but are managed in this panel.

janee_0-1638971096985.png

They will be added every time you click. (I now have three and will delete two.)

janee_0-1638971412498.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. Any of the resources and tips did not work for me. In my case, I was able to find the preset shapes in this way:

From the shape drop down menu at the upper left corner, selec any one of the scribbled shape icons.

Then, the "shapes" option appears on the top menu bar. Please see the image. I hope this helps your situation. customshape.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GMidori wrote:

... I was able to find the preset shapes in this way: From the shape drop down menu at the upper left corner, selec any one of the scribbled shape icons. Then, the "shapes" option appears on the top menu bar. ...

This does not make sense @GMidori . Some of it is confusing; some is incomplete, and some is misleading.

1. The dropdown menu you are displaying is for the presets for the options for various tools, including the Custom Shape Tool presets that you have drawn arrows toward.
  2. When you use the term "scribbled shape icons", do you mean the Custom Shape Tool? 
  3. When you use the term "top menu bar", do you mean the options bar?
  4. You can select the Custom Shape Tool directly without using the preset menu. It shares space with the other shape tools in the Tools panel.
    janee_0-1652142249462.png
  5. The options bar in your screenshot shows the Custom Shape Tool options with the Arrow custom shape selected. You will get that dropdown by choosing the Custom Shape Tool the normal way (in the Tools panel).
  6. The issue being discussed in this thread — that you didn't touch on — is that in Photoshop 2019, the Talk Bubbles and other original shapes were no longer available from the menu in the options bar. To re-activate those shapes, users need to go to Window menu > Shapes and enable them from the panel menu (as several have said here). After that the Legacy Shapes will also appear in the options bar.

I hope this helps you,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quiet funny tough. Why in earth someone would hide the most used and needed custom shapes in UI and give only a small option of flowers, animals etc. as pre-loaded custom shapes 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would something like this be buried like that? I've been going crazy trying to figure out where these basic shapes went. What is the purpose of hiding them???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's stupid that I had to Google how to find these shapes.  Who at Adobe thought that leaves and animals is what everyone would use and no one would really want, oh I don't know, a freaking rectangle or circle or any of the multitude of actually useful shapes?

Talk about a UX failure.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... a freaking rectangle or circle or any of the multitude of actually useful shapes?

By @default7nccci41woye

Rectangles and Ellipses continue to be available in the Tools panel.
janee_0-1692188157127.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines