• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac Studio running Photoshop 2023 Mixer Brush Still Lags

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm using PS 2023 on a brand new Mac Studio with loads of RAM, OS Ventura, the works. On my previous 2019 iMac, the mixer brush lagged when using it with a layer style active. Fine, I thought, it's probably just an old computer. So, I'm really disappointed to see on my huge EXPENSIVE brand new computer that the lag is still there. Did I just waste thousands? This is the only thing that was important for me to fix, it is essential for my work (digital painter), and, yet, despite going through all the optimization steps on this forum, the brush lags just like it did in my old computer. My husband says he thinks maybe photoshop hasn't been upgraded enough to take advantage of the M1 chip. Help?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @angelab32977858 what specific version of Photoshop 2023 are you running?

Have you tried going to Photoshop Preferences/Technology Preview and check "Disable Native Canvas" - any improvement?

Are you using a Wacom tablet? If so what driver version are you using? There were previous posts stating issues with drivers since Jan 2023, and reverting back to earlier may solve some issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm running 24.1.0. I tried the Disable Native Canvas just now, restarting Photoshop after checking/unchecking, then I tested each way, and the lag is still the same. I am using a Wacom tablet, and it is the latest driver. I have no idea how to go back to earlier ones, and it seems a little daunting to try to erase all the Wacom stuff and then reinstall everything from scratch (I've seen instructions about all that and my eyes just glaze over, but maybe I need to dig in and do it). Something I noticed is that there is no lag for about the first minute or so that I try to paint with a layer style activated and that the lag gets way, way worse if I move to another part of the image. It's as if it is a processing power problem. Like it is fine for a while as long as that while is short and as long as I don't move or zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @angelab32977858 wait- you are painting with an active layer style attempting to preview while painting? What happens if you hide the layer effect/style? Same lag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am attempting to paint with a layer style active. It's possible sometimes, but, eventually, I get a serious lag, especially if I move to another part of the canvas. Without the layer style activated, there is no lag. However, it is better for me to paint while it is active, so that I can see exactly what I am doing. Not only that, but turning on the layer style after painting looks different from doing it while painting, and I prefer what it looks like while I am painting. Anyway, I guess the question really is, what kind of thing is causing this lag, especially if I have done all the things Adobe recommends to speed up processing, and why doesn't my super fast, top of the line machine do it? Maybe Photoshop wasn't designed to operate with layer styles active while painting, and I'm just pushing it to do something it wasn't intended to do in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @angelab32977858 not saying PS wasn't intended to work this way, but there does come a point where you can push the limits even with a new Mac Studio, etc. etc.

It really depends on how complex your layer style is I guess. Obviously with it off you have no lag, but with it on it eventually impacts your usage.

One thing to look at when someone says it stops working "after a while" is your scratch disk/free HD space. The longer you keep a document open and actively work on it - the more scratch disk space is used until PS is quit and its released. You could turn down the number of history states in preferences from 50 to see if that gives you more time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having the same problem with the lag I am also a Digital Painter and Illustrator,,,,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines