Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

making a post card

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what ever "image" size I use  it is mirrored in the "canvas size". I want a white border . I.E the canvas to be larger than the photo.  

manythanks 

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want the image size to stay the same or change? Does your image have a background layer? There are several approaches, but it depends on your needs. A screen shot of your Layers panel and clarification will help us.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To enlarge just the canvas, go to Image - Canvas Size - click relative and the center of the box and add your extra height and width. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways to do this.

1. Add a new layer.  Name it Background and fill with white. 

2. Move new background layer to bottom of stack.

3. With top layer selected, use Ctrl+T to transform.  Scale down & move as desired. See screenshot.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with adding Canvase size is that you change the size and aspect ratio of the image.

Same thing if you Free Transform using the Alt (Opt) key it does so as a percentage of the image bounds size so also cnages the aspect ratio.

image.png

One way around that is to go View > New Guide layout and chose a margine size that represents the size of the border you need.

image.png

Then drag a rectangle marquee selection that will snap to the guides, and add a layer mask to the central image.

image.png

However if it was me, I'd use the Frame Tool.  Select the Frame Tool and drag out the window snapping to the guides

image.png

You can either paste your main image with the frame selected, or File > Place Embedded.  The Frame tool is very cool.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,Jane-e, Melissa,Nancy nd Trevor,

I was amazed at the replies. I can't thank  you all enough.

It is going to take a day or two to try all the different options!

Iwill reply in a couple of days once I have had time to try all  the options.

Thanks again,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for beinng patient for a reply. 

This sounds daft but I could not see the wood for the trees.After all your replies I plumped for the most simple solution. I scrapped the idea of having a border. I just made the photo smaller, as the print card was larger than the photo it left a white border ! Which I then trimmed.

Just an idea  I had  when when printing small post card in my HP Envy. I used strong round magnets.One each side of the print tray and pushed them up against the card stock to stop the the card slipping backwards.

Thanks again for all your help.

Richard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines