• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manual migration of Adobe applications preferences, plug-ins, settings etc.

Participant ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping this is the correct community to post in. 

I'm moving into a new Mac Studio (Ventura) from a Mac Mini (Monterey) and I've already done fresh installations of the CC apps I use: PS, LrC, PrP, Au, Acro, Br. Now I want to make sure I bring over all the customized settings, preferences, workspaces etc that I've accumulated for all the apps over the various versions since 2019. But I'm a bit overwhelmed by the all the folder possibilities in the two Libraries. I assume everything I need is in my user libary/application support/adobe folder and leave the system libray alone) - but even so, there's a lot! (I've cloned my older system onto a drive, and am copying folders/files from that as needed.)

Any specific pointers for doing this correctly? If you're aware of an illustrated or video tutorial for this, please share that as well. I haven't found one yet.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in general, with adobe programs, it's best to:

1. uninstall all adobe apps (but leave preferences) from the old computer

2. migrate your old computer to your new computer.

3. install the cc desktop app onto the new computer

4. install the cc apps on the new computer

but see if the ps experts have other advice.

<moved from download&install>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lloydpdx7 this page goes through manually managing/migrating all presets:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer 

that does not look convenient.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad How so - the OP wanted specific directions to migrate presets and this page gives that in detail.

Migrating software form one Mac to another is never recommended especially if there is an OS difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i mean the number of steps involved doesn't look convenient.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh heck no - but its a solid workflow especially migrating from one physical machine to another.

In short - grab the folders and back them up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always, no exception, set up fresh preferences with a new Photoshop version. It's 5 minutes that can pay off.

Preferences are prone to corruption because they are rewritten on every appplication exit. Errors accumulate. An irregular shutdown or power loss can easily damage them.

Every experienced PS user knows that corrupt preferences can give very strange and unpredictable behavior.

In addition, any given setting may not mean exactly the same thing in a new version. The environment has changed!

Corrupt preferences don't always jump in your face. It can be very subtle, operations may just be slower than usual.

It's a fresh start, always feels nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 

that's what i do, but the op wants something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll read through the linked page for Photoshop migration; I suspect that will discuss migrating actions, brushes, etc as well. I can see how preferences will be somewhat easy enough to recreate and avoid corruption. I'll re-post in other groups for Premiere (LUTS, plug-ins, workspaces, etc) and LrC (develop and tool presets, etc) because that may be different than PS? Anything I should be aware of regarding the Adobe "Common" folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lloydpdx7 

Some specific info on migrating Actions here:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html

And:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/kb/migrate-actions.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

P.S. If you can keep the old machine running or at least available for a few months, that would be wise as you may find things that you should have migrated that you didn't!

As @kevin stohlmeyer wrote:

In short - grab the folders and back them up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome @lloydpdx7 

but, if it's going to take less than 1 hour to recreate your settings, i strongly second @D Fosse's recommendation to start with clean install and then setup your personal settings just the way you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@lloydpdx7 no need to repost the process is the same for each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines