Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marquee Tool - Marching Ants Not Showing While Dragging

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I would appreciate your help 🙂

For some reason, while drawing a selection with the Marquee Tool, the marching ants selection lines aren't showing anymore - and instead a continuous straight line appears. The dashed lines do appear only when I finish marking and release the mouse. They used to display while drawing but all of a sudden stopped. See attached video for demonstration.

Everything else is working fine so maybe I clicked a hotkey to change a setting..?

How do you return the display back to default, so that even during the selection itself a dashed line will appear - and not only at the end of the selection?

Please have a look at this video as well (from 2:35 until 2:39) to see what I mean and wish to achieve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhi6-F2WH8&t=155s

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Answering my own question:

After trying numerous suggestions and procedures that didn't succeed - it turns out that 'good old restart' did the trick and solved the case 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When an Adobe program starts behaving oddly, a reset of the Preferences will often solve the issue.

Mac: Photoshop - Preferences - General
Windows: Edit - Preferences - General

Press the "Reset Preferences On Quit" button.

Restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael Bullo,
Thanks for the quick answer! 

I've tried your suggestion, but unfortunately that does not help nor solve the current problem..

Any other ideas? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Sorry to hear that didn't fix the problem. Perhaps the situation is hardware or driver related? Hopefully some users more experienced in this area may have some suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Everything else is working fine so maybe I clicked a hotkey to change a setting..?"

There isn't such hotkey as far as I know nor setting in preferences. Your problem is more or less cosmetic, everything works just fine except that tool is showing line instead of dashed line while drawing selection. I wouldn't even realize if that happens to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really weird... =(
It looks more like a visual bug, so please leave a comment on the bug tab. It seems that the developers will check it out.

also, They'll want to see your system information.
In photoshop, On the top tab, Help - System Info ----- Copy and paste them.
Send a system information message to the developer because writing on the post is usually treated as spam.

@CoryShubert   <<<<
Click the name of the Adobe developer I linked. This opens the page. If you look around the upper right corner of the new page, you'll see a blue button called "Send a Message." You can press it and send the system information you copied directly to the developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jqqerry,

Thank you for your answer!

I would appreciate your help in understanding the suggested procedure 🙂

1)

You wrote - "please leave a comment on the bug tab. It seems that the developers will check it out."

Where is that 'bug tab' located?

2)

I've found the "Send a Message" button on Cory's page.

Beside pasting him my system information - should I include and/or write him anything else?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. When you try write Post, you can see that 

bb.png

2. You will only need to send the system information. Because if you report the problem, they will need the system information.
I think you can just write about the problem and say that the system information was sent in a message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answering my own question:

After trying numerous suggestions and procedures that didn't succeed - it turns out that 'good old restart' did the trick and solved the case 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah yes. The good old restart saves the day. Good to hear you solved it and thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines