• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Match layers across frame not working

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm literally just trying to move a gif to a still image. 

I've copied and pasted the frames of the gif into the still image i'm trying to paste it into, now to have the images actually be over the background.

But when I select match layer across frames, the gifs are still transparent, and I end up creating a gif that flashes from background to gif 1, to gif 2, etc.

How do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I an trying really hard to follow. Do you mean to simply turn on all layers? 

I keep re reading your post, and following it, I did turn on all layers. 

Mine now,, seems to work. 

Is that all it is? Turn the "eye" on all layers then play?

Vivi Wyngaarden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not turn on all layers no.

a. In the timeline click on frame one, go to the layers panel and make sure the eye symbol next to Background and Layer one is on and all other layers are off. If that is not the case use the eye icons to set them correctly.

b. Now click on frame 2 in the timeline. Go to the layers panel again and this time make sure that Background and Layer 2 are visible and all others are off (again use the eye icons to turn them on/off)

c. Repeat for the remaining frames

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to confirm what Dave said: You had "Layer 1" and "Background" on for the entire animation. Doing what Dave said should rectify the situation.  🙂

This is not unlike what traditional cel-animators used to do, where they'd take a background, layer one cel over the background, capture it all in a frame, then remove the cel and go to the next cel, capture it, and so on and so forth.

It's just done digitally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am completely getting what you are both saying. 

I did this with the image I had sent to both of you and it seems to work. I am currently doing this for a new background image and new gif. 

I literally hit the frame INSIDE of the timeline then go to the layers and make sure it is on for each one of the frames. Got it!

I will do this as a go around. Not to sound ungrateful, but I never did this before. I simply hit "match layer across frames" and at that point the background image would populate ALL the frames. 

So, if I am doing a gif that has 100 +layers this would be completed very quickly. 

Did something change? If you do not know, that is fine and we will drop it.

I deeply appreciate you two working so hard on this. 

Vivi Wyngaarden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because what you're doing (from the sounds of it) is you're not only matching but also making the layer visible across *ALL* the frames. If you don't want the element to be visible as you match, you should uncheck "Layer Visibility" under Match Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select all frames and only change the layer you want to appear in all those frames. Just turn it off then on again and it will turn on in every selected frame

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Something to check if match layers across frames isn't working is if the folder that the layers are inside of is set to visible. You can turn each layer "on" or visible and the folder can be hidden. Make sure to match the folder across all frames as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines