• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum Number of Brushes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a request for the maximum number of brushes supported in Photoshop to be raised.

I know it's crazy to have so many brushes brushes, but it is ridiculous that it is capped like this.

Please increase.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Something I only recently discovered is that the number bush groups you have open in the main panel, affects Scratch disk temp file size.  With huge groups like Kyles Megapack  having something like 700 presets, that can soon add up.  Try opening Photoshop with no documents open, and checking your primary scratch disk.

I have just done that and found a 5.2Gb file with nothing open, and just the Legacy and group with a few home made hair presets in it.

image.png

image.png

I can't imagine there being any limit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lylem,

You can do the feature request for the same: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a terrible time with the Brush Panel. Now when I try to load more brushes I'm receiving a pop-up that says I have exceeded the number of Brushes allowed. I called Abobe and the person I spoke to said there was no limit. How can that be? Limit or Not!!! Attached is a screenshot of where you load brushes in the Brush Panel of Photoshop and you can see it's not enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same error. And I don't even have that many loaded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I called Adobe and a manager, supervisor, someone like that called me
back and there is a limit. I think it was 2GB, but since I exceeded their
limit I don't remember exactly.
Sorry,

Sandy
[contact info removed by mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 GB kinda makes sense. It also seems a crazy amount of brushes, but I guess the search field still makes it fun... You're giving me ideas 🙂

You can probably have a whole series closed or loaded with actions (that can have shortcuts). That way you are unlimited, but the search field won't reach the closed packs...

Some brushes come in huge size. If you mostly use them small, you could resize an extra copy of 'em and save tons of space. But you might be busy for a few years... 😉 (who knows, there might be a utility for it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thank you for all your tips, this 2GB thing has to be new because I have
friends that have thousands of brushes.
I'm going to have to do and inventory of my brushes and remove the ones I
don't need to make room for new ones I want.
Thanks,
Sandy
(PII removed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi,Thank you for all your tips, this 2GB thing has to be new because I have friends that have thousands of brushes.
By @sandyk12081946

Sandy, I have a feeling that you might be missing the point.  I am very sure that you can have as many brush groups on your drive as you like.  That means the .abr files that, on a Windows system, live here:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Brushes

Note: that the file path above is for Photoshop 2021.  I was not expecting that, but I found the same folder for Photoshop 2022 was empty.  Over the years I have used Photoshop I have found that sometimes an update migrates all old presets, and sometimes I have to move them manually.

If there is a limit then it is for the cumulative size of all the groups and their contained presets that are open in the main panel.  I like to call it the Right Click Panel because that's what we see when we right click inside the document window with the Brush tool selected.

So in the screenshot below there is no limit to the groups highlighted with blue (which we access with the little cog icon which is highlighted with green.

I like to work with all options turned on (red highlight) but I use three large screens and have lots of space.

I absolutely depend on the Search Bar (cyan highlight) because it helps me find the preset(s) I need when I have large groups open like Kyles Megapack  I rename some presets to make this work the way I want, and reorganise favourite presets to my own custom groups.  As I said further up the thread, the Search Bar only looks in groups that are open in the main panel, and NOT those group on the right.

image.png

I think some of the wording in Brush Group warning dialogs might be confusing.  Deleting a group from the main window only removes it.  It is still there as an .abr file that can be reloaded.  The same thing applies if you move or delete a preset from a group.  Those presets are still there in the .abr file and can be reloaded into the main window.

image.png

There is a Gotya with the above if you are making your own group with new presets, or presets you have moved from other groups.  Deleting such a group will lose it forever unless you save that group from the Brush Panel (F5) [not the right click panel] by using Export Selected Brushes

image.png

Sandy, I expect you knew most of that, but I hope that has cleared things up for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I only recently discovered is that the number bush groups you have open in the main panel, affects Scratch disk temp file size.  With huge groups like Kyles Megapack  having something like 700 presets, that can soon add up.  Try opening Photoshop with no documents open, and checking your primary scratch disk.

I have just done that and found a 5.2Gb file with nothing open, and just the Legacy and group with a few home made hair presets in it.

image.png

image.png

I can't imagine there being any limit on the number of unopened groups (the .abr files on your hard drive) other than drive space.

What I have done for many years now, is to rename the .abr files giving them meaningful names that work nicely in alphabetical order.  I generally find that I might use just two or three presets from a group, so I organise them into my own custom group giving the presets meaningful names as well.  So instead of trawling though four five water splash groups, I only load the one into the main panel.  I then use the search bar to find the presets I need.  Note:  I am not sure that search bar is turned on by default.

The search bar only looks at groups open in the main panel.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines