Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Meta data/File info?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if those 2 names are the same but I'm still wondering
When you're on Photoshop you can File>File info..., that to me looks like a way to add a credit to your works, the credit would even show up for a .png file. But it seems like there's no way to lock it? If i share my files to somebody else with the Credit/File info thing on, they can still go in and edit it out, aka they can steal my works.
So yeah I'm basically asking if there's anyway to lock the File info/Credit thing 😅

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

No there isn't a way to lock metadata (and yes, File > File Info is metadata).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there isn't a way to lock metadata (and yes, File > File Info is metadata).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang that's sad to hear, any suggests on how I can give credits to my files then?
And thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite being unsupported in some file formats and stripped out by various processes, always use metadata. You can also use visible and invisible watermarking systems.

Also recently discussed here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/lock-metadata-copyright-information-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Will22105122akin wrote:

Dang that's sad to hear, any suggests on how I can give credits to my files then?

IPTC metadata is still the industry standard way to embed credit in your files, so you should still use it. Even if you could lock it, someone could just copy the pixels and paste the image into a different document that has different metadata.

But you’re not alone, your concern is a real one and people are working on it. There is a new industry push to have an alternative that’s more secure and tamper-evident, and one major effort is the Content Authenticity Initiative — an “open industry standard for content authenticity and provenance.” This is supported by software companies, news organizations, and more. It is in Adobe Photoshop as a new feature called Content Credentials. It isn’t finished, but it’s being beta-tested in public so you can try it if you want.

More info, with instructions in the link:

What is Content Credentials (Beta)?

Content Credentials (Beta) is a developing feature in Adobe Photoshop that (when enabled) gathers the edits, activity, and attribution information associated with the in-progress content. When exported, these details are captured as tamper-evident attribution and history data (called content credentials) that creators attach to the final content.

This feature aligns with the upcoming C2PA standard to provide digital provenance across the internet. It creates an open format for sharing information about the producer’s identity and the ingredients and tools used to make the content. These ultimately provide useful attribution information for audiences once the producer shares or publishes the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines