• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Selection on Multiple Layers

Participant ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a multi-layered illustration with a character and a background. The background and the character share the same layers. (There is a highlight, midtone, shadow, and sketch layer.) I want to make a selection of just the character and then move the character all at once, but when I do that and try using the Move tool the whole illustration moves, not just the character. How do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

You really need to not have the character on the background layer. It should be in a group with all layers associated with just it, so it can be moved easily. I would attempt to extract it from the BG layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to not have the character on the background layer. It should be in a group with all layers associated with just it, so it can be moved easily. I would attempt to extract it from the BG layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my issue. I shift to select all the layers the character is on; lasso around it to select it; then try right-clicking to copy it to a new layer. However, when I paste, it doesn't paste just the selected part, it pastes EVERYTHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do a copy merge If you want the pixels form the composite of all visible layer selected pixels  copied to the clipboard. Otherwise only the current targeted layer selected pixels are copied to the clipboard. Shift+Ctrl+C copy merge not Ctrl+C copy.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys!! JJ, that was exactly what I was looking for as far as copying and pasting! Is there a way to do that retaining the items on their separate layers?

Now how do I move the original character? Now I can move the merged layer of the character but since I still want to maintain multi-layer editability, I would prefer to keep the character on separate layers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No its a merge.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because you have multiple layers selected. It overrides the selection that you made. What you can do is copy all the layers, then use you selection to either delete the unwanted parts or create mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines