• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-page TIFF Files- How to Open and edit each photo

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning Historic Photographs and they needed to be grouped together. During scanning I have saved them in Multi page Tiff files as well as a separate Tiff Zipped Folder. The zipped folder I can not open on Photoshop at all and when I open the multi page Tiff I am only able to see the first page. Is there a way to see/ edit each file within the multi-page file folder within Photoshop. My end goal is to have a saved edited Multi-page TIFF as well as a separate converted single PDF within which all of the images are viewable by scrolling.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jordan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Hi MuseumofPlay_Library:

I don't think Photoshop supports multi-page tiffs yet. I know past versions did not.

There is an app called TiffSplitter that might help—I have no personal experience with it, however.

https://download.cnet.com/TIFF-Splitter/3000-2248_4-10438809.html

Once split and edited, it's easy to create a multi-page PDF from multiple images.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MuseumofPlay_Library:

I don't think Photoshop supports multi-page tiffs yet. I know past versions did not.

There is an app called TiffSplitter that might help—I have no personal experience with it, however.

https://download.cnet.com/TIFF-Splitter/3000-2248_4-10438809.html

Once split and edited, it's easy to create a multi-page PDF from multiple images.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround in a old forum post concerning opening multi page tiffs in Photoshop CS:

I haven't had occasion to solve this problem directly with Photoshop, but one way I have been able to see multiple page TIFF pages is through the freeware viewer IrfanView.

Trouble with IrfanView is that it, I believe, will only open 8 bits/channel images, and color-management may not work out the way you want depending on how you get the image into Photoshop.

Maybe this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The zipped folder needs to be unzipped, just double click on it.

Also, it would be a whole lot easier if you set your scanner to save regular tiff files that photoshop can open.

Gimp can open each page in multi page tiff files.

https://www.gimp.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just group them by making a folder for them. Anything else is going to vary from not working at all, to working slowly and unreliably. Maybe you'll zip them up when you are absolutely finished editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The excellent freeware image editor Gimp opens multi-page tifs and gives the option of opening as separate layers or separate images, which you can export in pretty much any format if you want to then move to Photoshop. Why Photoshop can't perform this simple task is beyond me.

Gimp does most of what Photoshop does (and does it better in some cases), so while you probably have Photoshop embedded into your workflow and wouldn't replace it with Gimp, Gimp is nevertheless an excellent tool to have installed in the background to try things when you're stumped as to why Photoshop isn't behaving as you expect.

You'll find it pretty intuitive after using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open multi-page tiff file with Adobe Reader. Then export it in tiff format. It automatically saves a separate Tiff file for each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe only Acrobat Pro can open/save multipage tiff files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat DC Pro and it says it can not open .tif files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your file a multipage tif?

Your sure you have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and not Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a tif, it contains multiple pages (62 in this case). Yes, it is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (I have a paid subscription through work). The error message says the tif type is not supported or the file has been corrupted. The file is fine becasue it opens in Windows Photo Viewer.

I did find a workaround, however, and that is open the file in Windows Photo Viewer, go to Print, and select print as pdf. The new file will then open in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  Acrobat reader couldn't open it, but I printed as a pdf from photo viewer, and then could open that pdf in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apple Preview, EXIFTool, ImageMagik, and ImageJ all open/work with multipage TIFF files correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of multi page tif files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multi-TIFF does exist: several tiff pages in a single tiff file. Easily opened pages and  images un-piled, and saved with Gimp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines