Exit

My First Photoshop

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

I have tried my first photoshop. 

The goal is to do something that looks half decent for a youtube thumbnail, I'd prefer to do something that doesn't look too amateurish as then no one will click on the link. 

My thumbnail is comprised of people as the video is about a sporting event. 

To make my thumbnail I have saved the images from google to my desktop, then added to photoshop before cutting the people out in photoshop and then assimilating the cut people out into one photo. 

One of the issues I have that is effecting my final photoshop is that the images of the people are very pixelated. 

My method so far has involved downloading from google then I have had to enlarge the pictures by using the edit: Free Transform panel. Is there any alternative way to retain picture quality? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Photoshop forum from Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to start with higher resolution pictures. Scaling down usually works , scaling up (especially from very low resolution images) emphasises any artifacts including pixellation.

One more point, if you are using images from Google make sure they are licensed to use. There are sites which do offer images for personal and commercial use without charge (e.g. Pixabay) and others that do make a charge, but usually have a wider range of images (such as Adobe Stock). What you cannot do is just use any image without the owners' permission.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. 

Do those rules apply apply when you are dealing with famous people competing in sports? 

I thiught it might come under the headings of “news” or “fair use”. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Of course copyright of an image applies (not the subject within it). The copyright is with the creator/owner of the image e.g. the photographer,  not the subject.

Use of a person in the image is a separate issue. You may or may not need model release depending on what you are doing with it. News, for example recording an event, or just people in the street for art is usually OK. Using that person for advertising or suggesting an endorsement is obviously not.

Note : I am not a lawyer. A lot of this though is common sense.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A news article might use an existing picture, owned by someone else, of a famous sportsman, but only if the rights were available, and they would expect to pay for them. You should expect to pay too. Consider taking your own photographs (though model releases will be needed if the people can be recognised in any way - face, team number etc.) Team shirts may also have rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could do a Google search for sites that provide free stock images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines