• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My numbers and punctuation glitching on Photoshop. Help? [2012] [CS6]

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When typing numbers or punctuation on Photoshop CS6, they always glitch and go back to the beginning of the sentence and can't be made to go after the letters. I can't think of anything that's wrong. Please help!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

in photoshop are your type options under Preferences>Type set to Middle Eastern or East Asian?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Please explain in more detail.

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. If I was trying to write "The year 1995", when typing the first number, it would automatically go to the front of the text and look like "1995 The year". The same rules apply for any punctuation I use at the end of sentences.

Also, if I was trying to highlight all of the text, what would be highlighted would either be "1995", "The year" or the space inbetween "1995" and "The". It isn't possible to highlight every word in the text. Another thing is that the blinking line where the text should type is always at the beginning of the text unless I hold the right arrow key.

Please ask any questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happens when using the Type Tool to create Point Type and Paragraph Type both?

Have you trashed the prefs yet?

You could also try checking out:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That happens when using the Type Tool to create Point Type and Paragraph Type both?"

Yes, both.

"Have you trashed the prefs yet?"

I just did so but it came to no avail.

I'll try the more time cosuming things on the list later when I have more time but nothing worked yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds strange indeed.

Are other programs affected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every other program seems fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems unlikely, but are any Scripts linked to events in File > Scripts > Script Events Manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No scripts are linked to events.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in photoshop are your type options under Preferences>Type set to Middle Eastern or East Asian?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got it! It was set to Middle Eastern and changing it to East Asian fixed the problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's strange that resetting the photoshop cs6 preferences didn't cure that if your using an version of photoshop not localised for a middle eastern region.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the default type to Asian?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's the correct preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix originally submitted  by : Xenil Nov 6, 2013 1:52 PM …

"NOTE: THIS DOES INCLUDE HAVING MIDDLE EASTERN SET, BUT ISN'T THE FIX ITSELF!

1. Go to 'Type' through the menu, or (preferences on mac) and make sure type set is set to Middle Eastern.

There, wasn't so hard, was it? =]

2. Now, do this:

Step2.png

Step3.png

Step4.png

5. This may set back and forth if you have a certain text layer selected, so make sure you're doing this independently of any layers.

Hope this helps."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it I do not have the bottom part of the dialog box in my Photoshop? I don't see any option to turn on either in the Paragraph panel itself. I can't choose what your pointing to with your arrows in point 4 of your graphic. I'm on Creative Cloud 2015. This problem has been driving me crazy. Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 10.09.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I do to see those extra options in the Paragraph Panel:

I have "Middle Eastern" set in Preferences/Type, but every so often the extra options in the Paragraph panel disappear - not sure why, and then the right-to-left issue happens when I type the "&" or other punctuation. It drives me crazy.

I go back to Preferences/Type... and select East Asian, since Middle Eastern is already selected but not showing my extra options in the panel... then I quit Photoshop, reopen and I see the extra Paragraph options to fix the RTL issue.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks still working in 2019!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. You just f*cking nailed it. It would take me forever if I would look for it myself.  I truely appreciate it. Tata!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I registered just to upvote you, been struggling with this for years now- I'm such a dummy.. thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gvantsat5764909_0-1679841844017.png

For me nothing worked, other than this preference change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! did you reset the type tool (right-click the tool on the option bar)

Does it happen with all fonts, or just one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"did you reset the type tool (right-click the tool on the option bar)"

No, but I just did and it didn't work.

"Does it happen with all fonts, or just one?"

All fonts.

Something I just noticed was when the text starts centred on the right, the blinking line that should be telling me where my text will be coming up moves backwards when I press the spacebar; then when backspacing, the line goes fowards.

Sorry if that last sentence didn't make sense...it's early.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the problem that all punctuation is appearing on the left side of my text. What makes most of my documents useless.

Recreating them from scratch is NOT an option due to high complexity.

I am Cloud member and Photoshop is up to date.

What is the solution to fix that problem now?

• I tried switching between Middle Eastern and East Asian text engines.
  • I tried to delete styles, resetting paragraphs, etc
  • I deleted Photoshop preferences

Nothing helped yet.

Punctuation always appears on the left side instead after text.

What's also strange is that after deleting the preferences, creating a new document and writing text - the text is by default aligned right instead left.

Does that mean my documents, which I have built up over years/months, are irreversibly skrewed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines