• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to push X twice to swap between foreground / background color

Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new issue recently that I would like to resolve.

I do a considerable amount of masking. Pushing X to switch between foreground and background black and white. I need to push it twice.

I find now very often that when I push X it does not immediately switch. I'm still painting with the same colour. I push X and the foreground has not switched. I need to push it again X. Then it switches.

I keep testing my keyboard and it's not the key. But when I'm working the foreground doesn't change when I push X the first time.

The first time I push X the foreground does not switch. I push t twice and it switches.

It's driving me slowly crazy(!)... Is this a thing?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

RESOLVED

It was the plugin lumenzia. I updated lumenzia to the latest version and it fixed the issue. He updates the plugin very often.

Note: It is incredibly frustrating how easily "reset your preferences" is thrown around as the first solution without telling the user to first back up all of his preferences first. Especially if that is not the soulution to the problem. Trying to fix a small naging problem is nothing compared to the trying to get work done after all the preferences you are used

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick reply... it takes more than 2 clicks sometimes.

Step 1... Don't paint. Just pushing X switches between foreground / background.
Step 2... Paint on the mask... Pushing X does nothing. I need to push it TWICE to get it to switch.

Sometimes I need to push it 3 times or more and it does not switch. They key is fine! There is a bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @xxCounterpoinTxx, sorry to hear you are seeing issues with your KBSC and the X key.

The function is working here as expected. You say this is a new issue, do you have an idea when you first noticed this? What changes have taken place, updates, additional plugins, etc?

First would be to do a restart, if that doesn't fix this it may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply. 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot replicate either. Perhaps you should try resetting your preferences. 

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit. Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESOLVED

It was the plugin lumenzia. I updated lumenzia to the latest version and it fixed the issue. He updates the plugin very often.

Note: It is incredibly frustrating how easily "reset your preferences" is thrown around as the first solution without telling the user to first back up all of his preferences first. Especially if that is not the soulution to the problem. Trying to fix a small naging problem is nothing compared to the trying to get work done after all the preferences you are used to have been deleted without backing up first. Support really screwed up my day the first time they told me to do that and I had to figure out what all of my preferences were again when it didn't work.

Problem solved... didn't have to "reset my preferences" to do it.

I appreciate the help! Stop telling people to reset their preferences without explaining they need to back up first. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@xxCounterpoinTxx wrote:

Note: It is incredibly frustrating how easily "reset your preferences" is thrown around as the first solution without telling the user to first back up all of his preferences first....
I appreciate the help! Stop telling people to reset their preferences without explaining they need to back up first. Thanks!

I agree and thank you for mentioning it, as we should all remember to do this. I will note that two of the three responders did not do this.

• The first responder said to try a relaunch and asked for System Info.
  • The third responder told you how to keep a copy of your old preferences file so it could be restored if it was not the answer.

I'm glad you found the solution, and thank you for sharing it, as it will be useful to others who search.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I switched to recommend the manual method ( https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually it lets you keep a copy on the desktop that you can use to revert the process.) and wish that the shortcut would zip the existing preferences folder, for future recovery or troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backing up corrupted preference is pointless.

Backing up preference that are known to be solid isn't but then everything should be backed up.

Make screen captures of your preferences is another way to do this. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ps team might want to take a look at corrupted ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preferences were not corrupt. Resetting my preferences would have only given me a headache. It was a plugin that needed an update. Thanks for you reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines