Exit

New gradient layer opens up black to transparent

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Using PS 2022, Catalina 10.15

My understanding is that when you open a new gradient layer, the layer should be solid and filled, by default, with the colors you have as the background and foreground colors. But in my case, it is opening with a black to transparent gradient. Which is not what I want.

Any advice?

Thank you!

This is what I get, even is my foreground and background color are red and blue. 

minglessis_0-1648358935863.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

The default on my station seems to be »Color to Transparent«, too, and no way to override it has come to my mind so far. 

Same thing for Photoshop 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that when you open a new gradient layer, the layer should be solid and filled, by default, with the colors you have as the background and foreground colors.

What is this assumptions based on? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

The assumption is based on something I heard in a couple of tutorials :(...maybe it used to be like that?

I know how to edit the gradient, but that takes extra steps. I thought I could get my default gradient layer not to be transparent.

Here screenshot

minglessis_0-1648394558711.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default on my station seems to be »Color to Transparent«, too, and no way to override it has come to my mind so far. 

Same thing for Photoshop 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's useful, thanks!. Now, I know that there is not such a foreground/background color defaul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no idea what the default is or is supposed to be - but you set gradient type here:

fill1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I heard about the default in a tutorial and that is how it work in this person's computer, maybe it was an old version of PS? I can't find the tutorial anymore.

In any case, thanks. I know how to edit the gradient, but I was hoping to save me some steps by getting a default that is not transparent.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines